Questions About Switching from Gravel to Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laser

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently brought home 4 bolivian rams and they seem to be doing well. However, I have found that they prefer to eat off of sand. I don't really like sand, but if it will make them more comfortable I will make the switch today.

My questions are:

Is it worth the stress it will cause them up front to switch to sand?
If I do switch should I leave them in, put them in a bowl, or put them in another tank for awhile?
Can they be just as happy in a gravel tank?

I don't want to kid myself. I like the gravel I have in there but I want them to be happy too.

Laser said:
I recently brought home 4 bolivian rams and they seem to be doing well. However, I have found that they prefer to eat off of sand. I don't really like sand, but if it will make them more comfortable I will make the switch today.

My questions are:

Is it worth the stress it will cause them up front to switch to sand?
If I do switch should I leave them in, put them in a bowl, or put them in another tank for awhile?
Can they be just as happy in a gravel tank?

I don't want to kid myself. I like the gravel I have in there but I want them to be happy too.

If you have the spare tank put them in there it shouldn't take more than a few hours just make sure you have the sand completely rinsed before you start
They should be happier when they eat of the sand it won't hurt them as when they eat from gravel because of all the edges
Maybe someone who has more experience with Bolivian rams can chime in

These are my Bolivian rams. IMO they are the best choice out of the ram family. If you make them comfortable, you will get the most out of your rams (colors, health). These rams are part of the microgeophagus family and do best with sand. Mine somewhat act like the geo's and chew on the sand looking for food. I would say it is worth the "stress" because the benefit far outweighs the work it will take. I use silica sand (pool filter sand) because of its ease of cleaning, it's cheap, won't alter any water chemistry and IMO looks great!

Thanks for all the replies. I just got home from work I have the PFS so I think I'm gonna go for it.

Well, it's all done. The water is a little cloudy. I'll be sure to post some pics later when it clears up.

Laser said:
Well, it's all done. The water is a little cloudy. I'll be sure to post some pics later when it clears up.

Did you rinse it before adding it to the aquarium? Just curious.

Yeah, I rinsed it several times per bucket. Maybe it wasn't good enough.

When I switched it still was cloudy. It will settle down after a half hour and gradually after that.

Bubbles0oO said:
When I switched it still was cloudy. It will settle down after a half hour and gradually after that.

Yes, same for mine, however it took a few gravel vacs to clear everything that settled as it would stir up when I would move the sand.

You'll be glad you made the switch. I did the same and my BR is doing very well. The pfs is much easier to clean than gravel.

Yeah, I think I'm glad I did. They are already sifting through the sand. =)

Back
Top Bottom