Questions for GBR owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNWaquarist

Aquarium Advice Addict
Being something of a masochist, I've decided to try a pair of GBRs in my SA community tank (currently contains tetras and corys). These are coming from a reputable breeder in SoCal with free two-day shipping. Given the minimal financial risk, I figured why not. I have a couple of questions for those who've kept GBRs:

(1) My understanding is that GBRs need steady water parameters. Does this mean that one large (40%) WC per week is too much at one time? Would I be better off doing two or three 20% WCs instead, or is this unnecessary?

(2) I currently feed my other fish: LFS Optimum Community Flakes most of the time, freeze-dried bloodworms twice a week, and one Hikari sinking carnivore pellet each evening (cut in two). Should I be supplementing anything else specifically for the GBRs?

(3) I plan on housing them in my recently-cycled 10 gallon QT for the first six weeks. This includes some fake plants, some hornwort from my display tank, and a small cave-like structure. In lieu of substrate I have about a dozen river rocks covering the bottom, and the tank is sitting on a piece of black poster board. I may even put a small piece of driftwood in there. Is there anything else that I can do to minimize stress?

The only problems I see are GBRs usually require a well established tank, You said you just cycled it. Also a ten gallon is two small for more than one GBR. But since it's temporarily housing it should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The only problems I see are GBRs usually require a well established tank, You said you just cycled it.

I've read this as well and am wondering how a tank that can fully convert 3 ppm ammonia into nitrates in less than 24 hours is going to be a problem. I imagine that two 4-month-old rams are probably going to produce less than 0.25 ppm ammonia in a day. Or perhaps I'm wrong about that?

All sounds fine, i do a weekly % 60 wc, i do use a aged, temp. Matched water barrel though. I feed a variety of frozen foods and cobalt flake. I too keep them with tetras and corys.. all good.. no spawning though which is fine with me..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Being something of a masochist, I've decided to try a pair of GBRs in my SA community tank (currently contains tetras and corys). These are coming from a reputable breeder in SoCal with free two-day shipping. Given the minimal financial risk, I figured why not. I have a couple of questions for those who've kept GBRs:

(1) My understanding is that GBRs need steady water parameters. Does this mean that one large (40%) WC per week is too much at one time? Would I be better off doing two or three 20% WCs instead, or is this unnecessary?

(2) I currently feed my other fish: LFS Optimum Community Flakes most of the time, freeze-dried bloodworms twice a week, and one Hikari sinking carnivore pellet each evening (cut in two). Should I be supplementing anything else specifically for the GBRs?

(3) I plan on housing them in my recently-cycled 10 gallon QT for the first six weeks. This includes some fake plants, some hornwort from my display tank, and a small cave-like structure. In lieu of substrate I have about a dozen river rocks covering the bottom, and the tank is sitting on a piece of black poster board. I may even put a small piece of driftwood in there. Is there anything else that I can do to minimize stress?

You should always take care not to alter parameters too much when doing a large water change regardless of the type of fish. This shouldn't be a problem if you practice large water changes regularly and the inhabitants and the things you add to the tank don't alter the water chemistry enough to cause a problem.

Diet seems ok to me.

In my opinion I would add as much to the QT to minimise stress as possible. Lots of plant and cover. I would be worried that, if by pair you mean a male and female that if the male doesn't take to the female he may stress her out. Obviously acclimatise slowly and leave the lights off for a day or two.

My rams get a 4 gal water change each night and a 15-20 gal change on weekends in a 30 gal.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Thanks, all, for the comments. Much appreciated.

At this point, I'm wondering if it might be worth the gamble to put them directly into my display tank. I'm getting these directly from a reputable breeder (Yunite) and it's tough for me to believe that a place that specializes in such sensitive fish have a more disease-filled tank that I do. (Then again, I could also get unlucky.) So I'm weighing the risk of disease from a reputable breeder vs. the guaranteed stress of a less-than-optimal environment of a QT tank that has only been cycled for a week or so, plus an added move into the display tank in January.

These fish have supposedly already paired off on their own. While that's no guarantee of breeding, I doubt that the male would peck the female to death. I also think that after I do two large water changes before adding the rams into the display tank, I'll have a regular routine of 3 x 20% WCs per week. This will be more work for me, but still not too much hassle, as it'll only require a 5 gallon bucket and a 25 W heater.

Right in the display if it were me..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I bought from Yunite and put the Rams directly in my tank.

I bought from pets at home and put the rams directly in my tank.

I bought from pets at home and put the rams directly in my tank.

Just to expand on that. You know how I feel about quarantining. If you are confident the rams will be fairly stress free in the quarantine then I say go for it.

My rams went straight in. Problem is the male chases the female. She is getting stressed and I fear she will become sick. I need to intervene. Might have to take the female out. I don't really want to be adding more fish.

Thanks again for the comments. I think that I'm going to forego the QT and add the rams directly into the display. I'd QT just about any other species (even if directly from a supplier), but GBRs are so freaking fragile that I suspect two acclimations and six weeks in a tank with limited comfort will be a problem.

Given that my wife is not super-happy about the (temporary) QT set up in the bedroom, I'll probably get a few more Cardinals from the LFS. If I don't use that thing, she'll probably kill me. :lol:

Thanks again for the comments. I think that I'm going to forego the QT and add the rams directly into the display. I'd QT just about any other species (even if directly from a supplier), but GBRs are so freaking fragile that I suspect two acclimations and six weeks in a tank with limited comfort will be a problem.

Given that my wife is not super-happy about the (temporary) QT set up in the bedroom, I'll probably get a few more Cardinals from the LFS. If I don't use that thing, she'll probably kill me. :lol:

Haha...good logic :)

Back
Top Bottom