Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Questions For Shrimp Keepers

I have a heavily planted tank having red cherrys and yellow shrimps along with many frys. Before I had neon tetras in this tank but I transferred them to another tank. Now its a shrimp only tank.

I have two questions :

1) I want to know if small fish like cardinals or chili rasboras suppose will harm the shrimplets or go after them to eat? They are very very tiny.

2) I heard that shrimps when with fish feel timid and that limit there activity. Is it true? I mean if fish are not bothering them will they still be less active?

Please reply. Thanks.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello,
Any fish, exempting Oto cats, will eat shrimplets. That includes small tetras and raboras. I have the most success in shrimp and snails only tanks. The shrimp are more active and numerous when kept without fish. Even if the fish are not actively bothering them, they perceive them as predators and are more likely to hide.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminginBlue View Post
Hello,
Any fish, exempting Oto cats, will eat shrimplets. That includes small tetras and raboras. I have the most success in shrimp and snails only tanks. The shrimp are more active and numerous when kept without fish. Even if the fish are not actively bothering them, they perceive them as predators and are more likely to hide.
Thanks. So I think I should go for shrimp only tank. Do they see otos as a threat too? I mean in presence of oto will they limit there activity? I noticed mine become more active once neons are out of the tank. They are like everywhere now. Small ones come and swim freely. Before I never seen small one swimming. Only they use to be on carpet.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Iíve never owned Otos so Iím not sure, but I imagine they might be slightly frightened by them. Perhaps another member can offer their experience.
If you want tankmates for them, snails are wonderful. My shrimp love to ride on the beautiful mystery snails I got from @TMaier.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

My shrimp boldly sit out and pretty much dare the fish to make a try. No hiding in my tank. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1755.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	304491
Old 10-22-2017, 01:26 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

As I mentioned in the other tank thread, the Chili Rasboras (Boraras Brigittae) COULD eat a little fry but I have raised many varieties of shrimp with them and have noticed no problem in getting many fry.

They do not hunt like many fish, and stay in the upper area , I'd say top 1/2 of the tank. I haven't ever seen one of them even sniff towards a shrimp.

They are notably red as compared to the other Dwarf Boraras, Boraras Micros, boraras urophthalmoides aka Exclamation Point (very pale not red), boraras maculatus, boraras merah aka Phoenix, boraras naevus aka Strawberry.

This has some good descriptions
Boraras - marvels in miniature ‚ÄĒ Practical Fishkeeping Magazine
Good to know better which you are buying as I was not intentionally sold the wrong kind but they look almost the same
Which boraras do you really have? A pictorial guide to the most common species - Invertebrates by Msjinkzd

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:47 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
My shrimp boldly sit out and pretty much dare the fish to make a try. No hiding in my tank. Attachment 304491
Very nice. What fish do you have with them and how many gallons?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
As I mentioned in the other tank thread, the Chili Rasboras (Boraras Brigittae) COULD eat a little fry but I have raised many varieties of shrimp with them and have noticed no problem in getting many fry.

They do not hunt like many fish, and stay in the upper area , I'd say top 1/2 of the tank. I haven't ever seen one of them even sniff towards a shrimp.

They are notably red as compared to the other Dwarf Boraras, Boraras Micros, boraras urophthalmoides aka Exclamation Point (very pale not red), boraras maculatus, boraras merah aka Phoenix, boraras naevus aka Strawberry.

This has some good descriptions
Boraras - marvels in miniature ‚ÄĒ Practical Fishkeeping Magazine
Good to know better which you are buying as I was not intentionally sold the wrong kind but they look almost the same
Which boraras do you really have? A pictorial guide to the most common species - Invertebrates by Msjinkzd
Thanks a lot. I checked links. Its chili or mosquito rasboras we are talking about yes. Actually I want to know another thing that if chili or cardinal teras share same behavior in terms of shrimplets? My LFS is out of chili rasboras now and can't promise when in stock. I am very much into shrimp only tank now mainly because of the poor shrimplets in tank in dozens. I didn't see neon tetras chasing them but then I didn't see baby shrimps swim so openly too. I am just confused really. I almost made my mind for cardinal tetras. Holding just because of baby shrimps. I am not into breeding or anything. I just don't want poor babies to be meal for any fish.

Also is it possible if you could share picture of your chili rasboras if you keep them still?
Old 10-22-2017, 02:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have another question is that if mixing different kind of shrimps like amano or cherrys or ghost etc are fine? I read and all say its completely fine however this video made me concerned. Amano shrimp destroying a cherry shrimp.

https://youtu.be/W8yUz6_kE6w

GRAPHIC CONTENT WARNING. ONE SHRIMP KILLING OTHER.

Please share your experience regarding mixing different kind of shrimps together. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:48 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have a 29g with Khuliís, Neons and Dwarf Rainbows. I totally suspect my Amanos of snacking on baby shrimp more than the fish.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
I have a 29g with Khuliís, Neons and Dwarf Rainbows. I totally suspect my Amanos of snacking on baby shrimp more than the fish.
Thanks for the info.

Tags
question, questions, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com