Questions For Shrimp Keepers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a heavily planted tank having red cherrys and yellow shrimps along with many frys. Before I had neon tetras in this tank but I transferred them to another tank. Now its a shrimp only tank.

I have two questions :

1) I want to know if small fish like cardinals or chili rasboras suppose will harm the shrimplets or go after them to eat? They are very very tiny.

2) I heard that shrimps when with fish feel timid and that limit there activity. Is it true? I mean if fish are not bothering them will they still be less active?

Please reply. Thanks.

Hello,
Any fish, exempting Oto cats, will eat shrimplets. That includes small tetras and raboras. I have the most success in shrimp and snails only tanks. The shrimp are more active and numerous when kept without fish. Even if the fish are not actively bothering them, they perceive them as predators and are more likely to hide.

Hello,
Any fish, exempting Oto cats, will eat shrimplets. That includes small tetras and raboras. I have the most success in shrimp and snails only tanks. The shrimp are more active and numerous when kept without fish. Even if the fish are not actively bothering them, they perceive them as predators and are more likely to hide.
Thanks. So I think I should go for shrimp only tank. Do they see otos as a threat too? I mean in presence of oto will they limit there activity? I noticed mine become more active once neons are out of the tank. They are like everywhere now. Small ones come and swim freely. Before I never seen small one swimming. Only they use to be on carpet.

I’ve never owned Otos so I’m not sure, but I imagine they might be slightly frightened by them. Perhaps another member can offer their experience.
If you want tankmates for them, snails are wonderful. My shrimp love to ride on the beautiful mystery snails I got from @TMaier.

My shrimp boldly sit out and pretty much dare the fish to make a try. No hiding in my tank. IMG_1755.jpg

As I mentioned in the other tank thread, the Chili Rasboras (Boraras Brigittae) COULD eat a little fry but I have raised many varieties of shrimp with them and have noticed no problem in getting many fry.

They do not hunt like many fish, and stay in the upper area , I'd say top 1/2 of the tank. I haven't ever seen one of them even sniff towards a shrimp.

They are notably red as compared to the other Dwarf Boraras, Boraras Micros, boraras urophthalmoides aka Exclamation Point (very pale not red), boraras maculatus, boraras merah aka Phoenix, boraras naevus aka Strawberry.

This has some good descriptions
Boraras - marvels in miniature — Practical Fishkeeping Magazine
Good to know better which you are buying as I was not intentionally sold the wrong kind but they look almost the same
Which boraras do you really have? A pictorial guide to the most common species - Invertebrates by Msjinkzd

My shrimp boldly sit out and pretty much dare the fish to make a try. No hiding in my tank. View attachment 304491
Very nice. What fish do you have with them and how many gallons?
As I mentioned in the other tank thread, the Chili Rasboras (Boraras Brigittae) COULD eat a little fry but I have raised many varieties of shrimp with them and have noticed no problem in getting many fry.

They do not hunt like many fish, and stay in the upper area , I'd say top 1/2 of the tank. I haven't ever seen one of them even sniff towards a shrimp.

They are notably red as compared to the other Dwarf Boraras, Boraras Micros, boraras urophthalmoides aka Exclamation Point (very pale not red), boraras maculatus, boraras merah aka Phoenix, boraras naevus aka Strawberry.

This has some good descriptions
Boraras - marvels in miniature — Practical Fishkeeping Magazine
Good to know better which you are buying as I was not intentionally sold the wrong kind but they look almost the same
Which boraras do you really have? A pictorial guide to the most common species - Invertebrates by Msjinkzd
Thanks a lot. I checked links. Its chili or mosquito rasboras we are talking about yes. Actually I want to know another thing that if chili or cardinal teras share same behavior in terms of shrimplets? My LFS is out of chili rasboras now and can't promise when in stock. I am very much into shrimp only tank now mainly because of the poor shrimplets in tank in dozens. I didn't see neon tetras chasing them but then I didn't see baby shrimps swim so openly too. I am just confused really. I almost made my mind for cardinal tetras. Holding just because of baby shrimps. I am not into breeding or anything. I just don't want poor babies to be meal for any fish.

Also is it possible if you could share picture of your chili rasboras if you keep them still?

I have another question is that if mixing different kind of shrimps like amano or cherrys or ghost etc are fine? I read and all say its completely fine however this video made me concerned. Amano shrimp destroying a cherry shrimp.

https://youtu.be/W8yUz6_kE6w

GRAPHIC CONTENT WARNING. ONE SHRIMP KILLING OTHER.

Please share your experience regarding mixing different kind of shrimps together. Thanks.

I have a 29g with Khuli’s, Neons and Dwarf Rainbows. I totally suspect my Amanos of snacking on baby shrimp more than the fish.

Will try and get some pics this week.

Have been keeping Boraras Brigittae for around 5 years, along with B. Merah aka Phoenix, and the mistaken identity B. Uropthalmoides aka Exclamation Point.
Purchased as really small ones, were supposed to be Brigittae.

Presently have 2 B. Urops and one Merah left from the misc. micro Rasboras, and ~12 B. Brigittae.

The B. Urops are really pale (to me they look ill they are so pale along side the Chilis!)and no comparison to B. Brigittae males are mostly reddish like the pics you see online - dominant male or 2 are brightest/darkest red not all of them are THAT dark and females medium.

Will try and get some pics this week.

Have been keeping Boraras Brigittae for around 5 years, along with B. Merah aka Phoenix, and the mistaken identity B. Uropthalmoides aka Exclamation Point.
Purchased as really small ones, were supposed to be Brigittae.

Presently have 2 B. Urops and one Merah left from the misc. micro Rasboras, and ~12 B. Brigittae.

The B. Urops are really pale (to me they look ill they are so pale along side the Chilis!)and no comparison to B. Brigittae males are mostly reddish like the pics you see online - dominant male or 2 are brightest/darkest red not all of them are THAT dark and females medium.
Thanks a lot.

Few more questions:

1) My Shrimps became lazy. Not swimming or walking much actively. Just staying at one place mostly or hide. Temperature is 25 to 26 and water parameters are ok. I fed them algar waffer three days ago. Since then they became like this. Those algae waffers do have fish meal. Is that the reason? This one I fed

Aquarium_2016-8732-1.jpg

2) My LFS has no stock available of chili rasboras. He can arrange green neon tetras which are rare in trade I believe. I looked at Google and found they are smaller than neons so did anyone of you kept green neons with Shrimps?

Please reply. Thanks.

If that food has a large amount of wheat/grain /first couple ingredients maybe they are not eating it because of this, and / or too much food fed and leftovers fouling the water some.

I would do a couple of water changes, the amount you would normally do, then another soon after of the same amount. Say 15% then another 15% (or the amount you would do). It could be immediately after, or 8-12 hours later if you have to be away from home for work.

As long as the water parameters are safe. EDIT: if they are not in safe levels keep doing the small pwc until it gets in safe range.

Reason to do small pwc over and over or called back to back to lessen the poor tank water parameters change very gently /gradually and be less stress for fish or shrimp in poor water quality.

If you see a bit of cloudiness in the water it is likely the food. Then feed much less at one feeding.

I have had Green Neons with shrimp for a little while, they were small/young, needed to get a little bit bigger before going into the other tank with larger fish.

They are recommended for a ~10G /38L They would get a little bit large /not have enough swimming room in a 6G if this is the same tank.

I didn't notice many baby shrimp with them in the tank. I did not see them hunt babies but that would be a natural food source in the wild.

Last edited:
If that food has a large amount of wheat/grain /first couple ingredients maybe they are not eating it because of this, and / or too much food fed and leftovers fouling the water some.

I would do a couple of water changes, the amount you would normally do, then another soon after of the same amount. Say 15% then another 15% (or the amount you would do). It could be immediately after, or 8-12 hours later if you have to be away from home for work.

As long as the water parameters are safe. EDIT: if they are not in safe levels keep doing the small pwc until it gets in safe range.

Reason to do small pwc over and over or called back to back to lessen the poor tank water parameters change very gently /gradually and be less stress for fish or shrimp in poor water quality.

If you see a bit of cloudiness in the water it is likely the food. Then feed much less at one feeding.

I have had Green Neons with shrimp for a little while, they were small/young, needed to get a little bit bigger before going into the other tank with larger fish.

They are recommended for a ~10G /38L They would get a little bit large /not have enough swimming room in a 6G if this is the same tank.

I didn't notice many baby shrimp with them in the tank. I did not see them hunt babies but that would be a natural food source in the wild.
Thanks a lot. Water is not poluted or anything. Just after having that meal shrimps become less active and like to stay at one place mostly. What happened was I asked wife to remove waffer after some time but she forgot and it stayed in tank all night. The next day I woke up to see all shrimps and snails gathered at that particular spot and was snacking on it. Maybe they ate all night. Maybe that's why lazy. Anyways I won't give them these waffers again or for a short period and then pull out the remaining.

I got six green neons and only two chili rasboras along with crystal red and crystal black A grade shrimps. Chili rasboras they didn't aware was out of stock and only two they had. They promised to fulfil order soon. Neons colored up already. However chilis are not red. They are only two and newly added. I hope they color up soon.

Green neons and Chili are very tiny and even my Shrimps are bigger than chilis. I believe everything will be good. I seen one very tiny shrimp passed by them and they didn't care to look at him. Its too early to say anything but I ak hopeful specially after watching there tiny mouths.

Guys since your talking about shrimp I have a question I'm setting up my shrimp and snail tank. I ordered nature's ocean aragonite sand can i use it in a freshwater tank or do I have to wash it out?

Back
Top Bottom