Questions, questions, questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a lot of fish. In my ten gallon aquarium I have four feeder goldfish, two mollies, two balloon mollies, two female bettas, and one (passive) male betta. This is only a temporary arrangement, of course. I'm going to buy a ten gallon tank and a five gallon tank, probably before next weekend. I was wondering what the best way to split them up would be. I have an abundance of male bettas, and they're all in separate one gallon tanks, so I don't plan to change their arrangements. My friends have been trying to convince me to buy larger tanks for my bettas, but I think that one gallon tanks for each of them suffice. They're at least better than the small cups they come in. But I know that I have tropical and non-tropical fish in one tank. So would it be best to put my feeder golfish in one tank, and my mollies and balloon mollies in another? And then put my bettas in separate one gallon tanks? Any advice?

Actually, you already answered your own questions...

Put the feeders in one tank, the molllies and balloon mollies in another. I would suggest putting the bettas in a bigger tank, like a 5.5 gallon. Unfortunately, 5.5 gallons are a few dollars more than 10 gallon tanks. So unless you have room for several 10 gallon tanks, just keep them in a 2.5 or 5.5 gallon tanks.

I pretty much agree with crazy there. Although in my opinon one gallons are more than enough for bettas. goldfish and tropical fish will die if together too long. goldfish are more dirty than tropical fish I learned that the hard way. good luck.

Why not just get a 5 or 10 gal and divide it up for the bettas? Saves space, time and money! Plus it looks nice :D

ashely

Tank dividers work great. In fact, if you get a twenty gallon and two dividers, you'll have three tanks in one (each about 7 gallons worth). You'll be glad to have them in a bigger tank and they will thank you for it.
-mark

Welcome to the forum, DSA, and I really like the ideas presented above. Great advice!

Be ready, though, for the baby mollies you are likely to get. Do you know if you have males or females?

First suggestion, if you plan to keep fish; is that you buy yourself a water quality test kit. You need pH ammonia(Nh), and nitrites(NO). Tetra Laborett is a nice little kit that won't break the bank and doesn't use nessler's reagent.
The kit will tell you WHAT your water is other than "fine" (most lfs clerks say fine unless it is like straight ammonia). Especially if you are keeping fish in overstocked conditions (aka..wrong amount of clean water for size and number of fish)

The #1 problem with bettas permanently housed in small containers (besides the difficulty in keeping a nice stable water quality) is HEAT. And temp fluctuations. You live in my neck of the woods and unless your home is toasty warm, your bettas are losing days off their lives every moment they are in non-tropical conditions. Though adaptable, they are still a tropical species. And are mass bred cheaply ..in Asia where they originate...hmmm. CoInkyDink?
They will not be at their most vital and vibrant quality when cold & will get sick with the first thing that comes down the pike. In a larger divided tank, they can still have that amount of space but it is warm and filtered if you have a good ( one that has good slotting for flow) divider. 10 gal are cheap and you stack em pretty on a strong shelf unit and voila'! instant fishroom. But if you change their water every other day and get small heaters..the little minis can suffice. Walmart has one mini-heater for 5 gallons at 6-7 bucks. But I wouldn't trust in in that small a space. A 25 watt hagen thermal compact will fit in mini tanks. (My daughter breeds betta and we have like 6 divided 10 gallons for then alone)

And I'll be the bearer of bad news. Your feeder golds will fast out -strip you in terms of space and size. A ten gallon is the bare minimum of a single fancy. Just 4 lil 6-8 inch fancies require about a minimum 75 gallons with mondo filtration. they cannot really have tankmates since most coldwater fish are minnows who will go down the hatch as soon as those kids can fit em in. Same with gravel. they pick up and play all the time..if it is small they end up swallowing it. if you MUSt have a substrate, get riverstones too large for their mouths. Same with plants..get washable ones. They will tear up and maybe eats most live plants. Plus plants do not usually like the heavy filtration they require. Common golds will need move to a pond at some point in the next 18 months if they are growing normally. They top out between 10 and 16 inches if healthy. And larger if they are actually one of the related colored carp out there.
Most enviroment compatible fish are not happy with golds becuase they are so messy. They have no real digestive tract. It's straight in and out. (which is why the eat so much). I love golds, but I am often the first to suggest that people send em back. Just because they were cheap doesn't mean they are easy.Feeder golds are not bred in tanks..they come from PONDS.
Feeders are commons, shubunkins and comets most often.

If you LIKE golds you can have comets and shubunkins with the feeders and make a goldtopia. You cannot mix fancy golds with torpedo golds. The slimbody golds get all the food and may start picking pieces off the slow fancies.(Not pretty)

BTW: I am really surprised you haven't had issues between the male an female bettas in such small quarters. Usually girls will do a number on his finnage before the second week is out. You ssure got yourself and odd mix of fish.

Hey Christmasfish, (and dsa) I bought one of those $6 heaters for 2-5 gal tanks, and it's crap. First off, there's no adjustment on it. So I put it in a spare 2 gal hex to test it, and it got up to about 73 and that's it. That much more reason for me to get Horatio and Nikko into a 10 gal that much sooner. And I agree dsa, you've got an extremely rare mix of betta personality in that tank. Wish I could do that knowing that it would work. :mrgreen:

Heh CiRXSi, I think they are carp too, buit I wil be fair and mention it. Some have been lucky.

The other languages for the wally world special suggest 5 gal and above. It also warns it cannot guarantee results in under 5 gallons...^_^ not in english though!
The one I bought and tested kept the tank at a nice toasty 90....would be great for keeping my tea warm! too cold for my bath. I took them all back after getting info from the company.Then I bought a 10 gallon and a 100 watt.

Anna has three related girls together happily with some otos, but you add ANY other betta fish and it's dogfight city.

[center:4b9d020d1f] dsa, welcome to Aquarium Advice! :n00b: [/center:4b9d020d1f]
Looks like MTS has struck again! :wink:
I like the idea of dividing 10 gals for bettas since 10 gal tanks are cheap (if you have the space!). With your odd assortment of fish, let us know what you decide!

No , they are more sensitive than cories in that respect. Otos do need oto company
They are not all that big you cn prolly put three in a half side and just let them to the opposite side now and again. The tank will be sparkling clean though they do poop a lot. But you can baster out the small bits of detrius. They are in my daughter's younger bettas' tanks (Temp 78/80 instead of the 82 for her delicate lines or heavly draped specimins).

kits

thank you for the information, not sure what I would do without you

Back
Top Bottom