Quetion about water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tianxue

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 37gal FW tank. It's ok for me to change water use the bucket.
But I just got a 55 gal one. It will be hard to change water that way. I just wonder how you guys change water for the big tanks.
Can I just use hose to put the tape water in and add the decloride?
Thank

if you use a bucket make sure you have one for fish only.. i dont think it really matters what size it is but the one i use is about 3 gal.. but im not sure if you really want to use a hose.... you never really know that there is nothing in there if it sits outside

If your doing 10% water changes... on a 55 gal tank that would be 5 1/2 gal. Get a 5 gal bucket and do a little more than 1/2 a bucket twice.

Buy a Python water change system. You use the same hose to remove water and add it back. You just add the appropriate amount of dechlorinator as you are filling up the tank.

[center:fabfb069d7] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, tianxue!! :n00b: [/center:fabfb069d7]
I still use a (fish only) bucket to change water in both my 50 and 80 gals :roll: Dumb idea. From what I have read on this board and elsewhere, the python is the best (I don't know why I don't own one yet).
Actually, I drag over a 20 gal rubbermaid tub and put dirty tank water in there (then drag it to the front door and DUMP!--the neighbors must think I'm nuts) and when I have help, I use the garden hose (food grade [something like that] for the tanks only), a waterbed adapter kit for the sink and fill up the tanks.
Trust me--this is the hard way to do it :twisted:

Menagerie said:
Actually, I drag over a 20 gal rubbermaid tub and put dirty tank water in there (then drag it to the front door and DUMP!

Menagerie, at least you're getting a workout and keeping your lawn green and lush at the same time! :D
Living in an apartment building, I don't have the option of dumping my dirty tank water out the door....well, I could, but I think I would get evicted! :twisted:

It was wildly amusing when it was -15C. I had to be very careful as to where the water went. Now that it's warmer, I take my house plants outside and water them with the fish tank water.

Living in an apartment building, I don't have the option of dumping my dirty tank water out the door
Sometimes, don't you just want to?? :devilish:

I'm new at this but I have done a 10% already of a 75g tank. I used a 5 gallon fish only bucket. I used a tank vaccum hose and cleaned as I did the change. I got out the first 5 gallons, and then the other 2 1/2. Dumped it. Then I used a fish only rubbermaid tub and put 7 1/2 gallons of water into the tub. Decloride the water, then added the salt. Mixed it all together......whoops sorry this is a fw tank right?

Just skip the salt part.

Hope this Helps!

Siphon cleaner

Since I have a layer of gravel on the bottom that may trap hard waste and food bits, I use a Siphon from time to time and find that I can get a gallon out in no time flat all while cleaning the gravel.

By using a siphon, you won't have to submerge such a large bucket in your tank, and you'll be amazed how fast the water actaually will fill your bucket too!

:idea: I used to do the bucket thing to remove water from my 54 gallon tank. It seemed relatively painless and I resisted getting a python because I don't add tap water to my tanks. I've tried many different things and here is the best I've come up with to change water where you don't want to add tap water back in.

Removing water - I use a Python and I can't believe it took me so long to see the value of this thing. :oops: I only use it to remove water but it is so much easier than using buckets. I just hook up the Python outside to my water valve and run the hose inside to my tank. Turn on the water and then I'm holding a power gravel vacum in my hand. I gravel vacum and clean while the water is removed through the hose directly outside. When I've taken out enough water I simply remove the hose from the tank and go outside to clean the hoses which is easy. I just set the Python to "fill" which sends tap water through the hoses (while outside the house) thus cleaning the hoses! Then I set the Python back to "drain" to remove the water leaving me with a relatively clean and dry Python that I can store away until it's needed again. There... now the hose is all clean and I've removed the tank water. :) I also don't have any buckets to clean anymore which is what I used to hate doing the most. :x

Adding water - This is more difficult because my tap water sucks. I use 5 gallon jugs that I get filled with pure R/O water at a water store nearby. I add the proper amounts of R/O right products to get the perfect water for my type of fish. Then I place the jugs in my sink and fill the sink with very hot water that surrounds the jugs warming the water up inside. Once the water is the proper temp (takes maybe 5 minutes to reach proper temp), I take the jugs upstairs and run a hose downstairs to the tank. Then I get a syphon going from the jug to my tank and my tank gets filled back up in no time. 8)

If anyone has a suggestion to make this even easier of a process (short of adding tap water cuz that is NOT an option), I'd love to here it. :)

By using a siphon, you won't have to submerge such a large bucket in your tank, and you'll be amazed how fast the water actaually will fill your bucket too!
I never put the bucket in the tank. I use the gravel vac to take out waste, food and water.

Back
Top Bottom