Quick algae ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Burns

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm pretty sure this is red algae (bba) but i'd like a second opinion. this is in the ten gallon i just set up about three or four weeks ago, so ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates all read zero. lighting is 2.6wpg. only plants in there right now are the anubias nana and java fern i rescued from the pleco tank. i think next thursday i'll get an SAE to take care of it (maybe some bio spira just in case). once the 85gal is ready, it'll go into there for more room. tia

<<edit>>
d'oh...almost forgot to attach the picture...

2.6wpg and no nitrates...and I'm guessing no CO2. what are phosphate levels at?

this doesn't look anything like a cyano infection, which is good.

is it really attached to the leaves...or is it jsut floating on it?

my guess is phosphates are too high and it's some kind of beard algae. the SAE might clean it up.

it's definitely not cyano. i'll run the rest of the water tests later today, but i haven't added --anything-- to the tank, which means phosphates are low (b/c tap water PO4 tests are around .25ppm.) if this is bba (red) it is a nitrate based algae, or lack there of i should say, and pretty easy to wipe off with my fingers. also notice how it seems to grow from the outside edges of slow growers (the only stuff in the tank now - anubias and java fern.) i think those are dead giveaways.

i have to call my cousin today to confirm he received a new shipment of SAEs, then pick one up on thursday. i ordered some dry ferts from greg watson last night. once those come in and my summer media ethics class gets done, i'll get serious about creating a balance. i'll also set up a DIY co2 until i get the pressurized stuff set with a manifold.

Back
Top Bottom