quick cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, run your new filter on your old tank for a few weeks. Or put both filters on the new tank with fish in the tank, you still need to feed the bacteria.

ya i know im bought a filstar xp2 and i plan to stock it somewhat and then run teh old filter on tthe new tank along with the xp2 for acouple weeks to help my cycle along

If I understand, you plan on buying a new tank, and you want to run your old established filter on the new tank. Yes, if you do this, your new tank will have no cycle if the fish load is not dramatically increased too fast. I Presume you are going to transfer the fish from the old tank to the new tank? Otherwise, you will be robbing the old tank of its filter and making that old tank go through a cycle in order to spare the new tank a cycle. Unless, you have two filters on the old tank?

How long do you have to run the established and new filter simultaneously? I would have thought 2 to 4 weeks for optimal colonization, but GM's confident answer of 10 days makes me wonder if I am too conservative.

Got that answer from Tortius a long time ago.. He says 10 days.. I will take his word on it..

I've gone with just seven with no ill effects but wouldn't suggest it to anyone not wanting possible problems.
The process has alot of varibles.. I would tend to think less, the bactiria in question reproduse twice fold in a twenty four hour period (FAMA cierca late 90's) so the sutable surfase area (the new filters media) and the active colony you have now makes a diffence wich is dependent on current bio-load (that comes down to how much food you have been feeding)
All in all.. just putting it on there and giving it at least 10 days should get the job done (In the land of perfect it would take 24 hours, LOL and I know I dont live there ;) )

And running them both on your old tank is the smart thing to do.. like TomK2 said

Arrow,
The bacteria do have higher growth with higher temps, but the typical tank temp of 78 to 80 degrees is not that far off the optimal temp (which I think is right around 85 degrees?). In the situation of this thread, raising the temp would be bad for the fish, so any benefit you would get would be offset by stress on the fish. In a fishless cycle, it would do no harm and might be of slight benefit.

Back
Top Bottom