Quick cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dizzydea

Aquarium Advice Freak
My cycles finished I believe, I'm just on the last part where you dose the tank one more time with 4 ppm ammonia and it should be gone within 24 hours. Well I have tried this test several times with no luck. The ammonia is gone but the nitrite takes 2or three days to be gone. Somebody tell me what I want to hear!

Unfortunately, if you want to hear your cycle is finished, its not quite there yet. Your first set of bacteria pass the test with flying colors but your second set are not quite up to speed yet. Have a bit of patience! :)

Do I need to keep adding 4ppm ammonia because it's making my nitrates crazy high and I don't want the ph to crash, it's also quite a production to change out water on 110 gallon with 27 gallon sump just to bring the nitrates down

You need to add some to keep your bb happy and fed. I would probably scale back to adding it every other to every 3 days. If your seeing crazy nitrate levels, you are very close to being finished. Do you plan on stocking gradually over weeks or do you want to stock fully at once?

You need to add some to keep your bb happy and fed. I would probably scale back to adding it every other to every 3 days. If your seeing crazy nitrate levels, you are very close to being finished. Do you plan on stocking gradually over weeks or do you want to stock fully at once?

I will put all my current fish in which is 6 danios 2 glass fish 2 guppies a kuhli loach 2 albino bristle nose plecos and an Orinoco pleco

Let's try this. Wait for your nitrites to zero completely (do not add any more ammonia). Once they do, only add 2ppm of ammonia and lets see if your bb can completely zero this in 24hrs. If they can, do your big water change(s) and go ahead and move your fish over. Then just take your time stocking the rest of your tank so you do not see any big spikes in toxins.

Let's try this. Wait for your nitrites to zero completely (do not add any more ammonia). Once they do, only add 2ppm of ammonia and lets see if your bb can completely zero this in 24hrs. If they can, do your big water change(s) and go ahead and move your fish over. Then just take your time stocking the rest of your tank so you do not see any big spikes in toxins.
perfect advice! Unfortunately patience is not a virtue I possess, it would be hard for me to wait :)

Yah I like that idea

So I did what you said and the nitrite was zero

Both ammonia and nitrite zeroed, correct? Then you should be fine to do a decent water change to drop your nitrates and move your fish. If you do not have time to do this yet, just add another 2ppm of ammonia. Congrats! :)

So the fish are in and they look happy :) how long should I wait to buy more fish?

As long as your numbers stay stable over the next week, you can start stocking slowly. Just give your bb time in between new additions to adjust to the increased bioload. If you see any spikes in toxins, water changes to keep things in check until your tank stabilizes. :)

Just got a peacock eel, 2 golden dojo loaches, and a salt and pepper loach

Back
Top Bottom