Quick Fix For Unexpected Aquarium Leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bryanm70

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone, I just recently traded my old 20 gallon tank for a 30 gallon. I put the tank about 5 feet high on my stable book shelf. Stability is not what I'm worried about, it's the chance of the tank leaking and destroying all my electronics down below. I know it's not the smartest place to put a tank, but it's the only spot I wanted to put it. In case of an unexpected leak, would I be able to use mighty putty to temporarily fix the leak or should I seal the outside seams of the tank with aquarium-safe silicone to prevent this unfortunate mishap from happening in the first place? Thanks in advance :)

To be fair an unexpected leak is just that.

Happening when you are the least prepared to handle it, or even not at home.

If your tank leaking will damage items I would move either the tank or the items.

Avoiding disaster is usually the best way ahead lol.

Agree with the above. Silicon isn't going to assure that a unexpected leak isn't going to occur, after all the tank is already sealed together with silicon. Not sure on the mighty putty part, as I've never used, but what happens if the tank springs the leak while you are at work and you don't find it for several hours? IMO, you're better off without the combo. If you absolutely have to, you might want to look into one of those tub things they put under hot water heaters. Would detract from the beauty of the tank, but might at least help for awhile.

You could maybe consider some damage mitigation? Some sheets to funnel any water away from the electronics?

Or check your insurance to see how you are covered :)

Back
Top Bottom