quick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike47517

Aquarium Advice Addict
hey real quick question. here it is.
At Keeping Tropical Fish and Goldfish in Aquariums, Fish Bowls, and Ponds. it said i could cut a barrel in half put gravel and water in it and then add fish(Goldfish). i like this idea it would look good on my back deck/porch could i do this? i love fish and live in GA so it wont get cold. i dont have a ton of money and this is a cheaper way to keep fish and i dont have a ton of money so this looked good to me. will it work.
oh and to see more about what im talking about click here Container Ponds.
thanks for all help!!!

If the barrel was clean and free of contaminants you could use it. I have a friend who has 2 barrels and 2 plastic tubs he uses every summer for ponds. Make sure to keep in mind the fish adult sizes when stocking and use a seeded filter to aid in the cycle of the "pond". Test water weekly and set water change sizes based on parameters.

then again christmas is coming up. When I was your your age I got all my fish stuff on birthdays and christmas

Not unless you have a hugh barrel! Comets get to be 24" long & you want 200-300 gal for the 3 when full grown. As for the bass - it will work if you intend to have it for supper when it gets to be 6-8" long! :)

For the typical 20-30 gal half barrel, you are better off getting 2-3 fantails or moors.

i wasnt gonna cut it in hhalf thats just their idea i was just gonna leave thhe barrel its normal size. what about then?

Where do you find a 200 gallon barrel!?! And if you did have a 200 gallon barrel for the comets, do you have enough room on your porch? That might present some problem for viewing them, unless you had a stepladder and built a deck around the top, so you could look down while sipping your mint juleps.

Love it in Georgia, it's just soooooo dang humid.

Based on jsoong's recommendations, by keeping the barrel whole (and assuming it's 40-60 gallons) you'd have room for double the fantails or moors, but still wouldn't have room enough for comets.

If the barrel was clean and free of contaminants you could use it. I have a friend who has 2 barrels and 2 plastic tubs he uses every summer for ponds. Make sure to keep in mind the fish adult sizes when stocking and use a seeded filter to aid in the cycle of the "pond". Test water weekly and set water change sizes based on parameters.
what kind of fish does he keep in them?

Where do you find a 200 gallon barrel!?! And if you did have a 200 gallon barrel for the comets, do you have enough room on your porch? That might present some problem for viewing them, unless you had a stepladder and built a deck around the top, so you could look down while sipping your mint juleps.
the barrel im thinkin of is about 50 gallons what do you think i can keep in 50 gallons of water?

Back
Top Bottom