Quick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

king_of_biscuit

Aquarium Advice Regular
1) i have 4 tropical tanks...one with tetras and danios other with barbs and gouramies and other with sword tails and guppies and other my cold water tank
Yea so i change my water frequently but my nitrates stay high....any suggestions?

2) is it true that plecos is now on the black list and wont be sold at pet shops anymore?

3) yes im new but u will be hearing more of me XD

1) i have 4 tropical tanks...one with tetras and danios other with barbs and gouramies and other with sword tails and guppies and other my cold water tank

Yea so i change my water frequently but my nitrates stay high....any suggestions?

2) is it true that plecos is now on the black list and wont be sold at pet shops anymore?

1- With nitrates being "high" what exactly do you mean ? 10, 25, 40, 80? High is a very nondescript word as to what it means to everybody else. What are all your parameters and what test do you use to get these results ? Also, have you checked your tap to make sure that isn't where the issue lies as that does happen sometimes. As for WC schedule, what is frequent and how much, and what size tanks ?

2- I've heard that some species are but haven't seen anything really conclusive and it varies from country to country.

3- Welcome !!!

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

1. What is high? I wouldn't keep the gourami and barbs together. The barbs moght nip at the gouramis long fins

2. Cant answer

3. Welcome tp the forum!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

1- With nitrates being "high" what exactly do you mean ? 10, 25, 40, 80? High is a very nondescript word as to what it means to everybody else. What are all your parameters and what test do you use to get these results ? Also, have you checked your tap to make sure that isn't where the issue lies as that does happen sometimes. As for WC schedule, what is frequent and how much, and what size tanks ?

2- I've heard that some species are but haven't seen anything really conclusive and it varies from country to country.

3- Welcome !!!

Only nitrate is so high ....my nitrite is almost 0 and ammonia also almoust 0 but i use Sera Toxivec for those but my nitrate no matter wat i do stay at red 100+ (mg) and i use different tests but i mainly use Tetra test 6 in1 which is a dipstick test where u put the stick in water and then the blocks on the stick will change colour and u compare it with ur list and measure it like that and yes my tap water has 0 nitrates

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Only nitrate is so high ....my nitrite is almost 0 and ammonia also almoust 0 but i use Sera Toxivec for those but my nitrate no matter wat i do stay at red 100+ (mg) and i use different tests but i mainly use Tetra test 6 in1 which is a dipstick test where u put the stick in water and then the blocks on the stick will change colour and u compare it with ur list and measure it like that and yes my tap water has 0 nitrates

For starters, the 6 in 1 strips are junk. Look around for a liquid test kit. Much more accurate.

As for WC schedule, what volume of water and what do you consider "frequent" ? Also, exactly how many fish do you have in each tank and does each one get the same reading for nitrates ? Also, ammonia and nitrite of "almost zero" is not good. It should be at 0. How long have these tanks been running ?

I would highly recommend getting the API Master Test Kit. It is much more accurate than the dipsticks, i have the sticks for GH and KH and i compare the sticks accuracy with nitrites and nitrates to the liquid test.

OK i have 13 in one tank 8 in other one about 8 in other one aswell and 6 in the other one ...and i do about a 7 liter change in one of them and there readings are basically the same i change the water about once every two weeks and they should be circulating whell by now as they have been running for almoust two years...

OK i have 13 in one tank 8 in other one about 8 in other one aswell and 6 in the other one ...and i do about a 7 liter change in one of them and there readings are basically the same i change the water about once every two weeks and they should be circulating whell by now as they have been running for almoust two years...

bump that up to 7 liters every week.

If you get the nitrates down lower to start with by doing a few bigger water change maybe 50% every second day for a week. Once they are lower they should be easier to keep low by 20% per week. You souls be able get. Ali water test on eBay easy enough. That's what I had to do

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I dont live in th us and ebay have trouble delivering to my country..

Well two year old tanks def rule out new tank syndrome. That's the good. IMO 13 is too many in that tank as well as WC schedule and volume. Way too long in between, too little water, and too high of a bioload. If you want to test this theory, do a 50% WC on your heaviest stocked tank every other day. Test after every WC and you'll see a tremendous difference. Then start doing at least 25% weekly (I would do 50%) on all of them and you'll see them become more stable. Until you can get these into a good balance, I would stay VERY far away from Discus as you're current practices indicate you're not ready for them.

Ya I find it hard to get stuff from certain eBay shops. No from us either. But I normally find one. Do Amazon deliver to your country

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You'll want to change water repeatedly to bring the nitrates down. Then, keep changing enough water every week that your nitrates are stable in each weeks testing.

I believe it's possible to see ammonia and nitrite in an established tank if you lack filtering capacity or if something is killing your good bacteria?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom