quick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wakerider113

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
jeys guys, i was just wondering if i should clean my bio-wheel in my filter if it practically stops spinning. if so how should i clean it? if not what will happen if i do?

When mine stop turning I usualy just rinse them of in old tank water but be carefull not to rinse of to much bacteria.

i tried just rinsing of the sides where it actually spins but it still doesnt turn. im sort of new to this so what is the bacteria actually doing?

Biowheels shouldn't be seriously cleaned. If you want to take it out, and dunk it in a bucket of tank water (old water) to get detritus off, go ahead. However, don't wash it with tap water, and avoid wiping off the slightly slimy bacterial coating on the individual surfaces of the wheel.

You should, however, wipe the area around and beneath the biowheels to make sure that detritus there isn't fouling up the flow.

I find that poor biowheel flow is more often due to the filter media and the impellor getting blocked up. If this is the problem, the water flow will often be too low to turn the biowheel amove it. This is the great disadvantage to the Penguin series of filters, one that the Emperor series takes care of with a spray bar. Take the filter apart and make sure that the media and impellor are not dirty. Wash the filter media in the same bucket of old water, and replace it if it has become too slimy and has lost its porosity.

its not the filter media because when i remove the bio-wheel the water is relived because the b-w is backing up the water. what if i were to clean it with tap water and then soak it in treated water before putting it back in?

I wouldn't put your biowheel in pure tap water under no condition. Just take some tank water when doing a water change and soak it in the removed tankwater.
If u put it in tap water, i believe the chlorine in the water will start your beneficial bacteria to die of.

HTH

I find that poor biowheel flow is more often due to the filter media and the impellor getting blocked up.

I totally agree. I believe your filter is clogged and not providing enough water pressure to spin the wheel.

You should never have to clean your biowheel nor should you ever have to replace it.

And like everyone said above, when cleaning filters and biowheels, you should never run it under tap water. The chlorine from the tap will instantly kill all your bacteria. Always clean in old tank water.

Just a quick reply on what the bacteria is doing. I don't believe it was adressed (unless I missed it).

The bacteria is doing about the most important job that is happening inside your aquarium. There is a scientific nitrogen cycle that the bacteria are accomplishing, but to put it simply, it is neutralizing the fish's waste and turning it into a much less toxic product.

By rinsing the biowheel under ordinary tap water, you will either destroy or severely damage the bacteria, thus restarting this nitrogen cycle all over again. Any fish you have in the tank will be negatively affected by doing this, especially if you are stocked to the limit or overstocked. Basically, destroying this bacteria will cause the fish to be swimming in their own waste and it will build up to dangerous levels.

Like has been mentioned a few times, when you do a water change, dip the biowheel in this water to clean it up a bit. Also, just make sure that your filter media is clean like has been mentioned just to make sure this isn't the issue. Rinse your filter pad(s) the same way, by dipping it in old tank water taken from the aquarium. Every time my biowheels have slowed down, cleaning or changing the filter media has them spinning normally again. If this isn't the problem, maybe something is causing the wheel to stick. See if you can clean around where the plastic and metal connects on the side of the wheel, but don't touch, rub, or scrub the actual bacteria medium or again, you will disrupt them and may cause the tank to have to recycle and this will stress your fish.

Just wanted to make sure that you understood exactly what the bacteria is doing and how damaging it in any way might affect your fish. Also, just so you know, the instructions for the biowheel say that a biowheel spinning at ANY speed is doing its job. Even if it's moving slow, it is still doing its job of neutralizing fish waste. The only real reason for concern is if it stops spinning completely.

Paul

I'm late on this, but when my bio wheels stop spinning and I have tried all of the above, I cut away the extra pieces of the cartridge. I cut down to where the seam is. That works everytime :D

Back
Top Bottom