Quiet canister? Eheim, fluval, Filstar xp3?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

push350z

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently live in a loft style apartment, and currently have a HOB filter on my 46 gallon tank. The splashing noise has finally driven me insane since you can hear it from anywhere in the apartment. So I have decided I needed something quiet, so I've been looking at the choice of canisters and now come to you for advice. I would like the quietest filter out there, but I don't want to slack on quality or ease of maintenance. I'm considering the filstar xp3, but I heard there is a whine to it? I also was looking at an eheim (2215 or 2217?) and heard they were dead quiet (major plus). Haven't really looked much into fluval since I saw more poor reviews than the others. So please steer me in the right direction :)

I have YET to hear my Eheim make any noise. Granted any noise it does make is covered up by the HOB on the tank. :p lemme unplug the HOB to check but I am pretty sure my Eheim makes no noise at all.

I run 3 Fluval cans (2 404's on a SW, 1 403 on a FW) and they are as quiet as can be. As for the HOB splashing, the only time I ever heard any splashing when I was using a Whisper was when the water level was low. If the tank was filled, for me, the water ran quietly into the tank.

Now the **** air pump and stone.. that's another thing

I run 3 Fluval cans (2 404's on a SW, 1 403 on a FW) and they are as quiet as can be. As for the HOB splashing, the only time I ever heard any splashing when I was using a Whisper was when the water level was low. If the tank was filled, for me, the water ran quietly into the tank.

Now the **** air pump and stone.. that's another thing
Yeah, my HOB (emperor) no matter where it was it made an audible splashing noise. Given it wasn't really loud, but still easily heard and noticeable, regardless of water level. Anyone else have any advice eheim vs filstar xp3? And should I go for the 2215 or 2217 for a 46g? And what's the difference between the 22xx series and the pro II? From what I gather the pro II is newer and has more bells and whistles and made to prime easier and more maintenance friendly. Money is of no concern, I just want a good, quiet, maint. friendly canister.

Fish | Fish Filtration & Circulation | Eheim Pro II | Petsmart.com

Last edited:
I have an Eheim Ecco in my tank stand on one of my tanks...so quiet I almost forget it is there.

Looks like the more I read, the more people are experiencing noise with the xp3 and the eheim doesn't have those problems. So right now it looks like I'm leaning toward the eheim. Should I go after a 2217 or the newer 2026 pro II? Right now big als has the 2028 for sale for $219 (cheaper than the 2026 that is 229 currently). Think I may buy it tonight.

Eheim 2028 Professionel II Canister Filter With Media Value Pack at Big Al's Online

They have the 2026 for 199 at the Drs, but 219 for the 2028 might still be a better deal.

I actually just bought it and it's on its way.

You're gonna find people who like and dislike every brand. Pick one and I can point you to a series of comments (both positive and negative). Research them all and then make an informed decision. If Eheim was the only good brand then there wouldn't be much of a choice in the same cost bracket.

I don't mind any noise my XP3 makes, but now that you mention it, it might have a slight whirring sound. I'm not at my tank right now so I couldn't tell you for sure. It's minimal if anything when in the cabinet.

You're gonna find people who like and dislike every brand. Pick one and I can point you to a series of comments (both positive and negative). Research them all and then make an informed decision. If Eheim was the only good brand then there wouldn't be much of a choice in the same cost bracket.

well I have researched and I just wanted to make sure what I read was accurate so I asked. Seems like the eheim will be quieter but about $70 more expensive (xp3 is available for 140 at a LFS). However the extra 70 is worth it if it means no noise. I didn't see much about how to maintain it is it similar to the xp3?

I have a Fluval 305 and in the past I have had 405s and 304s. At first I would double check always to make sure they were working, that is how quiet they are.

No complains with Fluval.

Luis

I keep an xp2 in my bedroom tank and an xp3 in the livingroom. Neither one makes any noise unless you get right up on it, and by that I mean you put your head next to it.

I can't say for other brands, but I'm very happy with my eheim 2213--at 70 bucks the only thing I can hear is the outflow water pouring out. The canister makes virtually no noise. Covering the tubes is another issue, however.

Just got it all setup, and I'm loving it. Absolutely quiet, not a single noise. Still getting used to the quick disconnect I guess I'm doing it too fast and it's spitting out water on me.

Back
Top Bottom