Quiet Filters!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobby_dylanger

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, so I have a 50 gallon tank. I currently use a 55/75 gallon aqueon quiet flow. It is not quiet at all... I returned 2 and on my 3rd because I was convinced it was a defect... I guess it is not.
I don't know if it is the acoustics of my apartment or I'm overly sensitive, but it is driving me nuts.

I want a filter that is silent. I have a 30 gallon whisper HOP Filter that I adore. Would having 2 of those be enough for a 50 gallon tank? 3? 20 of them would still be quieter than my aqueon.

I have a large snowflake eel and that which it feeds upon in the tank. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks Guys!

I would totally recommend a canister filter, their quiet and they filter much better then a hob filter.
If you're looking for a good affordable canister filter I'd go for the sunsun their sold on ebay they range from $30-$60.
If you want a hob filter that's quiet I'd recommend the fluval aquaclear.

My fluval C4 is super quiet and is not bulky at all compared to an AquaClear. It also has 5 stages of filtration. I have customized mine. Instead of using carbon I use biomax and a super fine filter in front of my sponge filter.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My fluval C4 is super quiet and is not bulky at all compared to an AquaClear. It also has 5 stages of filtration. I have customized mine. Instead of using carbon I use biomax and a super fine filter in front of my sponge filter.

+1 if the tank is kept topped of this thing is silent. I run one on my 40 breeder.

Most canisters are dead silent though. I have a Cascade 1000 and keep the spray bar underwater, you would never know its running.

Caleb

+1 if the tank is kept topped of this thing is silent. I run one on my 40 breeder.

Most canisters are dead silent though. I have a Cascade 1000 and keep the spray bar underwater, you would never know its running.

Caleb

Well you got me beat with underwater spraybar Coolguy.;)

I have a 75 tank & a 45 gal tank. They both have Fluval canister filters. They are extremely quiet. I often check the hoses to ensure they're running! At first I had some filter noise but that was because I didn't put it together properly. When you snap the propeller cover into the canister top you have to be certain to push very hard where it says "push" until you hear a click. Once I corrected that both filters are extremely quiet.

Eheim 2217.
I have one on my 51g tank.

- dead silent (and I mean silent)
- no water bypass
- quality built with spare parts easily available.
- keeps my tank water absolutely crystal clear (like fish are floating in air)

Only downside is its a lot more expensive than other canisters.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah I can't hear my Fluval canister filters unless water level drops and I hear a waterfall but that's my own fault.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have the same issue with my 55/75. I know other do as well. I use it as a secondary filter to my marine land c-360 (highly recommend) I turn the 55/75 off at night and I put carbon in the 55/75 and use it as mechanical filter.

Canister filters are definitely the quietest option, although they are super expensive.

Outside of that I can't say much. I've been fishkeeping so long that I actually have come to have trouble sleeping without the incessant hum of half a dozen filters and air pumps. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom