Quietest filter for a 10g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the Aquaclear HOB filters (I think they are called Fluvals HOB now..). The only noise complaint I have regarding those is some of the filter's lids rattle against the filter body. I'll remove the lid or add material in between the two surfaces. Otherwise, nothing is audible if you keep the water level high enough. (Otherwise waterfall sound)

But you can't hear the waterfall sound if you keep the water level high enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ofcourse, everything makes a sound. Where's the tank? Next to your bed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cha ching.... Thank freshy fresh. Mongo learn.... Yarghhh.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Was hesitant to post a link to a thread (actually, this is a link to a post) because on the mobile app it sometimes sends you to a zombie thread from 2002. Creepy.
I've used this mod on MarineLand Emperor & Penguin filters, Tetra Whisper filters, and Fluval/Hagen Aquaclear series. Best of all, you can bend the plastic to divert the flow as needed.

Thanks for the responses guys! Will probably go with the fluval aquaclear 30 and will update with how it goes.

And yes this would be in my bedroom, hence the want for less noise! :)

Penguins are substandard.. they may start out quiet but they get loud and stupid.. ac 20 and I'll send you a bucket of caramel popcorn if you don't like it.

Penguins are substandard.. they may start out quiet but they get loud and stupid.. ac 20 and I'll send you a bucket of caramel popcorn if you don't like it.

I concur. Similar experience. Was quiet for a while (year?) and then the rattling started. I suppose I could have replaced the impeller.
I have no popcorn to give.

I just replaced my Penguin Bio Wheel with an Aquaclear 30. It is so much quieter than the Penguin. Also has much better flow.

Aquaclear are wonderful. I have 2 and the only time I hear them is when they aren't level (which is a nice little reminder that I knocked it).

For an HOB a fluval C4 takes the cake in my eyes. It's compact (needs only 5"-6" behind the tank). You can still put any biomedia in it that you want and has multiple stages of filtration.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey guys, thanks for all your suggestions! I went with the majority vote and got the Fluval Aquaclear 30 a couple of days ago.

I must say, it's absolutely fantastic. It sits literally three feet from my bed and I can't hear it. It does make a very mild humming noise, but I honestly can't discern that from my air conditioning sometimes. Side by side, it's as quiet as if not quieter than my canister filter.

I was initially worried about the waterfall, but if the water level is kept high enough it doesn't even fall into the water, it flows into it. Thanks guys, and I hope this helps anyone else with the same question now or in the future!

Back
Top Bottom