QuietFlow filter acting weird?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't know if anythings wrong but I have the Aqueon QuietFlow 10 and it's making an extremely large amount of bubbles in the water

image-1851708173.jpg

The water level is quite high and just a few hours ago it was flowing normally with small amounts of bubbles but it's never doing this before

I'm just worried if something is in there that's making it do that

There's also a clump of bubbles on the top like a giant gourami nest lol

I have the quiet flow 30 and I've never seen that unless I'm doing a pwc. The water level shouldnt be more than a centimeter or two below the plastic outflow thing. I had an airstone that would leave a TON of unpopped bubbles on the surface but now it's all clear again, I think is something in the water that makes it bubble so much, maybe just wait it out a while and see if it changes

Zimmanski said:
I have the quiet flow 30 and I've never seen that unless I'm doing a pwc. The water level shouldnt be more than a centimeter or two below the plastic outflow thing. I had an airstone that would leave a TON of unpopped bubbles on the surface but now it's all clear again, I think is something in the water that makes it bubble so much, maybe just wait it out a while and see if it changes

Still doing it now

I figured out what it is. It's not the filter. It's this massive clump of bubbles in front of the filter and when the filter spits out the water, it just pushes the bubbles down. So it's not even aerating anything

blert said:
Is there a large amount of oily film on the surface of the water?

Yes that's exactly what it is. Its disappearing now but I don't know if that's good or bad...

Bobjoefredsky said:
Yes that's exactly what it is. Its disappearing now but I don't know if that's good or bad...

It is good that it is going away. You can help it along with paper towels. Gently lay flat a paper towel on the water surface, peel it off right away and chuck in garbage. Repeat until most of the film is gone. Surface agitation, and time, will help with the rest. If it comes back then you need to consider doing either larger, or more often, water changes.

blert said:
It is good that it is going away. You can help it along with paper towels. Gently lay flat a paper towel on the water surface, peel it off right away and chuck in garbage. Repeat until most of the film is gone. Surface agitation, and time, will help with the rest. If it comes back then you need to consider doing either larger, or more often, water changes.

I just don't understand. I do like 30% weekly with the siphon!

Bobjoefredsky said:
I just don't understand. I do like 30% weekly with the siphon!

What size tank?
What is your stock?
How much do you feed?

The film on the water's surface is a bio-film made up of proteins and waste products. I would up the weekly water changes to 50% at the least (maybe more depending on your stock, tank size and feeding habits), small water changes are not really very helpful unless you are doing at least two per week. Surface agitation will help break up the film and mix it back into the water, then the stuff gets removed with water changes. PWCs are for much more than keeping nitrate low.

blert said:
What size tank?
What is your stock?
How much do you feed?

The film on the water's surface is a bio-film made up of proteins and waste products. I would up the weekly water changes to 50% at the least (maybe more depending on your stock, tank size and feeding habits), small water changes are not really very helpful unless you are doing at least two per week. Surface agitation will help break up the film and mix it back into the water, then the stuff gets removed with water changes. PWCs are for much more than keeping nitrate low.

10 gallons
Like 10% overstocked (upgrading soon)
Twice a day, sometimes flakes bloodworms brine shrimp algae wafers (wafers are broken up)

Back
Top Bottom