R/O Right won't dissolve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frogguy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just switched to R/O water with R/O Right (Kent) supplementation. I added the R/O Right about 4 hours ago and it still hasn't gone into solution. Is this normal?

thanks,
frogguy

Hmm, that is strange. It always dissolved very easily for me. I put it in the bottom of a bucket and pour water in onto it. It dissolves without any extra stirring for me.

Do you mean your water is cloudy, or it has settled on the bottom? I've found that powders like RO Right and Equilibrium will cloud the water for around 12-24 hours after they are added. Equilibrium is also particularly hard to dissolve - I use a magnetic stirrer and even after leaving Equilibrium on there for a half hour, there's still a significant amount that hasn't dissolved.

Might I suggest switching to Kent Botanica gH+. I did... it contains only calcium and magnesium... no danger of increasing potassium level too much (I dose potassium seperately). It's a liquid, just shake it up, measure it, and add it. And best of all, no clouding whatsoever!

It doesn't cloud the water. It is a white particulate that sits on the bottom. I can see some of it going into solution immediately, but the particulate was still there after 6 hours.

I added 2 teaspoons to 10 gallons of deionized water. There is a pump in the tank circulating the water. I'll check this morning to see if the particulate matter is still there.

Does this stuff go off? I just bought it yesterday and the seal was still intact but it does seem to have solidified a bit as I had to scrape it out. Is it normally a powder?

frogguy

I just checked the tank and the particulate is still present after 18 hours.

frogguy

Back
Top Bottom