R.O. waste water ok for freshwater fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markiezzi

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I have been doing some research online and I am finding different opinions on this subject. I have an R.O/DI water filter unit that I use for my saltwater and recently use it for my freshwater tanks. The unit puts out a lot of waste water and my question is do you think it would be safe to use for freshwater top offs and partial water changes? I will do some testing on it to see what the ph, nitrate levels are and post the results here in a few days.

Thanks
Mark

From what I understand, the waste water is just water that had not been filtered. It should be just like taking it straight from the tap. For sure test it first though, but the crud that the filter takes out of the water should stay in the filter media not get washed off into the waste water. BTW, up the pressure going into the filter system and it should produce less waste water. You can buy pumps for this.

Thanks. The pressure on my gauge is above 65psi going to the unit. I was looking at the 150gpd upgrade kit on Bulk Reef Supply. Might be a good idea to get that. It says reduces waste water by 50%.

Back
Top Bottom