Rabora Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADCISCO

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought 3 Rasbora tetra yesterday and I was just looking at them and one is totally loosing its color. I mean the triangle on the back is barely visable. Has anyone every had this to happen before and if so what is going on? They seem to be eating well. Maybe stress??? They are the only fish in a qtank also.

Check your water parameters; fish losing color can be a sign of ammonia poisoning.

Can you believe.....both tanks are perfect.....at the same time! So thats one down.lol :) Anymore ideas?

Urgh. Thats usually the number one suspect (ammonia). Since its not, he may have picked something nasty up at the lfs. You can try and see if we can figure out whats wrong with him (are there any other symptoms? what time does it happen? is he eating as well as the others? breathing fast?) and see if theres a treatment or possibly return him to the lfs. Or he may be more sensitive then the others and more stressed...its sometimes hard to figure out.

He seems to be eating ok....schooling with the others and they are eating well. I just noticed it about an hour ago.....he was fine this morning Because I would have taken him back to the pet store this morning when I took the frog if I had noticed it....if you didnt read my post...yes I got a frog....minus one foot......lfs gave me another one and let me keep him too :wink:

Your not going to believe this one! I just went back in there and they are all EXACTLY alike!!!! Maybe he was about to passout or something!LOL This is really weird! I have never seen anything like that before. I know when my ammonia was high in my 29 gallon my pristellas colors faded but it took along time for them to come back....but the water is fine.....fishy virus??? :?

Here it is 8 oclock and I went and looked at the fish one more time and now it is back to its ghostly color. I dont know what the deal is the others seem fine but he is still swimming but not as much with the others now. Any other ideas????ANYONE??????

Aren't rasboras and tetras actually different species of fish? Do you mean harlequin rasboras?

Thats what I thought....The lfs has them listed that way and the only way I knew of them being was Rasbora Harlquins. I guess we all screw up.

And I forgot to mention that the fish gets its color back and then it looses it....it is the strangest thing Ihave ever seen. I have been keeping a watch on them so if one dies before 3 today I cant take them back and get new fish or money back. But this is the strangest thing. This morning he had no color and now he is normal....maybe he has mood swings and needs some prozac??? :lol:

You probably saw the fish while it was stressed from being moved from your lfs to your home, there are a lot of fish that will lose colour until they settle down in there new enviroment.
And also the other way to tell Raspora from tetra is : The Tetra will have a Adipose fin between the dorsel and the caudal fin and the Raspora won't. Look at a picture of any Tetra from a Neon,Cardinal,Black Widow,and they all have a Adipose fin. Look at any Raspora and they don't.

Like right now it looks fine...but I might go back in a half hour and the black on it will be gone....barely a shadow of it being there at all. I just think its weird because the tank is out of the way of alot of commotion and I would think after being in the tank for 2 days now it would be not stressed. Its just a strange site.

I wonder if its a lighting thing (thinking out loud here). My cardinals are very pale in the morning before the lights go on, and color up after they are in the light for a little bit. Maybe, if there are lots of shady places in the tank, he is moving in and out of them and thats why hes color changing so often? Course, why aren't the other ones doing it LOL No idea..

Well...I guess that is possible....its setting on the kitchen counter top and it doesnt have a hood with a light..its just open. But the other ones arent like that. I was just in there again and it is pale as a ghosh again.....Its got me. But as long as its swimming and has no.....well seen disease I guess I will just watch it and see what happens....Maybe its like a mood ring???? Changes colors with moods??? :Fade-color LOL Or maybe it can detect my mood?????Thats even better!!!!! Hey at least I try to be light hearted about it.

Bwahahahaha!

A mood fish! Imagine what kinda money you could make breeding a buncha those. Much more useful in the home then flourescent fish, and a natural mutation too ;)

My fish looks much better today. I guess it just had to settle in. I bought another kissing gourami and put in there with them.....good ole' qtank. Shes a little skiddish but most fish are in a new tank anyway or at least my other kisser was. But then you have to stop and think where she came from....a 29 gal with an oscar that was about 10pds and a paranh....I'd be a little skiddish too!LOL

Back
Top Bottom