Ragged tail - please advise.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyEm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there, so my guppies have been in my tank for a month now, all seem happy, bit of bickering every now and then but no problems. Apart from I've noticed this today, one of my guppies has lost big chunks from his tail. He was very colorful and in perfect condition with a full tail when I bought him. I don't know what to do as haven't seen any of the other guppies picking on him, he seems to hang out on his own a lot. Will his tail be ok? Thank you ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411499425.713534.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Here's another pic ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411499610.631612.jpg

Looks like fin rot and ich in the first picture although not really seeing ich in the second. He looks really thin an hunched as well. You said the tank has been set up for a month, was it cycled before you got fish? I would say do a water change and add some melafix, and try to keep him separated in a quarantine tank or at least in a net and feed him.

I've had big tailed boys who just couldn't compete with the others and slowly starved without a little help.

Thanks for your reply, yeah tank was cycled properly. They've all got big tails really, I went for very healthy looking ones though, none of the others have any issues. No not ich or white spot just a dodgy pic as near the bottom of the tank. Never noticed the hunch before either, he's just a bit smaller than the others, and mainly forages for good from the bottom. It's definitely tears or small chunks missing. ? this is him a couple of weeks ago, he doesn't have much of the opaque bit of his tail left. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411502079.002216.jpg

I'll take him to my local aquatics centre and see what they recommend as don't want to lose him or get the other ill if he is. Thanks

He probably just isn't able to compete then. Just make sure your water is clean and make sure he's getting special attention at feeding time (or feed him two or even three times a day) until he's looking better. If he gets worse, well I've had some that just aren't good stock and seem to waste away. I wouldn't worry too much at this point unless the others start going downhill too.

Thanks for your help. I can't help but worry about them as like to make sure I'm looking after them well. I think you're right and could possibly be fin rot. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom