Rain Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if it would be ok to add rain water to my aquarium. Would it be good or bad for my fish?

Rainwater naturally has a ph I believe around 5.5- 5.8 range. Some urbanized areas have drastically lower phs due to pollution (3 or lower). So, although I would say rainwater may be 'generally' safe for aquariums, you will need to be very careful with how it is affecting your ph values and your tank's stability overall. I would not want to play with this chemistry personally in a tank although I do monitor it in my pond. :)

Ok thanks, well my tap water is about 7.8 and in my tank 7.4 so do you think I could add some rain water to lower it?

Just my opinion, but I wouldnt add any without knowing the parameters of the rainwater in your area and how it compares to your tank water. The Api test does not test lower than a ph of 6. You may wind up on a slippery slope that will be difficult to control. You could try testing various dilutions of tap/rainwater mix for ph, kh, & gh to see what may be feasible for your tank but I think this may be more work than its worth. Lets see what some of our other experts have to say! :)

Ok thanks for your help. It seems like too much work, I don't think ill do it.

What is rain? I seem to have forgotten....

Sorry.... Just kinda struck me as funny this morning after my $200 water bill just trying to keep the lawn and trees alive in this drought.

I was just thinking the opposite, when will the dang rain stop, rain every dang day....also with the rain water, I think you would be careful with what you catch it in, how long it sits outside and I don't think I would use it without heavy filtration first. Just seems like there could be a lot of pollutants in there. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom