Rain Water for Fish Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Science!!!!!!! Anyways... what are you keeping op ? Only the most finnicky sa cichlid are going to need/benefit from rain/ rodi water. Surely using tap is far more convenient/reliable. Nothing wrong with topping off the tank with low tds water, it's actually better. If you're dead set on making your own water than set up a hands off rain collection system, run the collected water through a 10 micron filter and carbon block before storing it aerated barrel. Rain water can be funny.. if you're in an area like Maine or Alaska than go for it.. if you're in a city scape than id opt out. Over thinking a simple tank can be the death of a great idea... or something like that! What are you intending to keep? Ehat size tank?
Ps- If you say African cichlid im going to bite my phone in half..

Science!!!!!!! Anyways... what are you keeping op ? Only the most finnicky sa cichlid are going to need/benefit from rain/ rodi water. Surely using tap is far more convenient/reliable. Nothing wrong with topping off the tank with low tds water, it's actually better. If you're dead set on making your own water than set up a hands off rain collection system, run the collected water through a 10 micron filter and carbon block before storing it aerated barrel. Rain water can be funny.. if you're in an area like Maine or Alaska than go for it.. if you're in a city scape than id opt out. Over thinking a simple tank can be the death of a great idea... or something like that! What are you intending to keep? Ehat size tank?
Ps- If you say African cichlid im going to bite my phone in half..

Haha, no need to bite your phone, it would just be to top off my 40g planted tank. It has 4 Black tiger badis, and 4 Asian stone fish in it right now but has a large open top I can’t put a lid on so it requires more water then normal to keep full. This was just a fun idea I had, save on a water bill and get some fresh water for my fishy friends.

Haha, no need to bite your phone, it would just be to top off my 40g planted tank. It has 4 Black tiger badis, and 4 Asian stone fish in it right now but has a large open top I can’t put a lid on so it requires more water then normal to keep full. This was just a fun idea I had, save on a water bill and get some fresh water for my fishy friends.

Again, if you Collect rainwater in a butt. wait until there are critters swimming around in it. Wastewater treatment use daphnia in bioassay to check water quality. If it’s got daphnia it’s fine. Clean water and free food.

Edit: whilst you’re at it, put some daphnia in a pint of tap water and see how long they live.[emoji848]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom