Rain water / tap water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lescor2002

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi just wondering if there is anyone knows if it is ok to use rainwater collected in a water butt as opposed to using tap water thanks

A lot of people use rainwater in their tanks, as rain water is very pure. (It filters in the clouds). It's a great idea if you have the ability to collect it.

If you live in cities, you might also be collecting some stuff ou don't want so.. beware.

Rainwater is sometimes used to induce breeding in some fish. I'm assuming it's like the same as distilled water

depending on where you live iw ould worry about pollution in the air. also that would change the chemistry of the water. in the aquarium you want a stable tank.

depending on where you live iw ould worry about pollution in the air. also that would change the chemistry of the water. in the aquarium you want a stable tank.

Ah true true, I live in the country surrounded by trees, so my view is kinda biased.

What if you used rain water and ran it through an ro unit?

I think that'd be overkill. The rain water will probably already be more pure than your tap water (depending on the location). But running either through an RO unit will give you pretty much the same water coming out.

Ah true true, I live in the country surrounded by trees, so my view is kinda biased.
Biased perhaps, uninformed, for sure. it doesn't much matter where you live, pollution can travel a long way to land on you when it rains. Still I wouldn't hesitate to usse it, but would try to collect it after it has rained for a while.

Ever hear of ACID RAIN?

Depenidng on where you live I would not use water from the first few minutes of a rain shower. After that all the pollutants in the air should be gone.

Yes I've heard of acid rain. Just around my area we NEVER get it. Hence, I'm biased.

u would still have to filter it birds dont care where they let it fly that will all wash off of ur roof and into ur colection barrel i would stick to tap water or filter the rain water

Back
Top Bottom