rainbow fish turned aggressive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lanceuppercut

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a banded rainbow fish, a giant danio, as well as 6 other fish. they have all been in the tank for a couple years, and have been perfectly fine, until about a week ago. The rainbow fish has been chasing the danio around the tank non-stop. it looks pretty vicious, even though the danios fins are all fine and everything. The rainbow fish leaves all the other fish alone, it's just the danio.
What's the deal?

the giant danio probably looks the most like the rainbowfish, and since the rainbowfish has no other fish with which it can school up / socialize with, decided that the danio was close enough. You really need a few more rainbows to keep him happy.

Hmmm, maybe. It really doesn't seem like he's trying to "school" with him though. it looks more like he's trying to chase the other fish out of the tank! Unfortunately, I don't think I have room in my tank for three more rainbow fish,Its only a 30 gal. Will this have bad side effects on the danio, like over stressing him?

Also, why would this behavior start now? I've had both fish for over two years.

it might stress the danio. I have a single Siamese Algae eater in my 30G, which chases the other fish around; in another tank i have two, and they only chase each other. Why now? don't know. Either more room, or more friends, is probably going to be the answer.

Well, I have a 30 gal. planted tank with the rainbow fish, danio, 3 Odessa barbs, 2 red eye tetras and a Chinese algae eater. Do I have room for more rainbow fish in my tank?

the banded rainbow can grow up to 5", and the CAE even bigger than that, so maybe not.

Back
Top Bottom