Rainbow shark?¿?¿

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mines pretty friendly with other fish. he's in a 55. how big is your tank?

They grow quite the size and are very active. You need at least 125 gallons to successfully keep a rainbow shark as an adult

They get 6 inches.. and all you need is a 55 gallon..

+1 ... a 55gal is the minimum I've read for Rainbow or RTS ... but given their territorial aggressiveness .. I can understand why bigger ... with more territories set up is better.

Bala Sharks on the other hand definitely need a 125gal minimum.

Ya maybe he got bala sharks and rainbow sharks mixed up? I'm not sure. But I know rainbow sharks only need 55. Some people even say as small as 30 because of their size but that gives them no room to dart around like they would like

They will interact with other fish in your tank. Especially if they think it is feeding time!

Have any of you actually kept this fish? A rainbow shark gets to 4" max (had a 7 year old) and is generally peaceful. Red tail sharks are a different species, get larger and are more aggresive.

I'd say min tank size for an RBS would be a 29G and for an RTS a 40B/50G assuming appropriate stocking, compatibility, filtration, maintenance, feeding, etc.

Have any of you actually kept this fish? A rainbow shark gets to 4" max (had a 7 year old) and is generally peaceful. Red tail sharks are a different species, get larger and are more aggresive.

Oh yes ... My RTS during feeding becomes nasty and chases the TigerBarbs it started my tank with .. for some reason though it leaves all the other Barbs alone. It's 3 inches long and It still has another 2-3 to go. Sometimes I wish I would've seen the RBS at the LFS before the RTS.

They will interact with other fish in your tank. Especially if they think it is feeding time!

I'd say min tank size for an RBS would be a 29G and for an RTS a 40B/50G assuming appropriate stocking, compatibility, filtration, maintenance, feeding, etc.
i have a rainbow shark,and would not even consider keeping him in a 29. he is very active,and uses evry inch of my 55. and even that seems too small. i would not suggest one for anything less.

Assuming appropriate stocking, compatibility, filtration, maintenance, feeding, etc.

Does your tank have a lot of open space? They ideally want to be in among thick plants and decor where they can be hyper active foragers and really not need to swim for open distances. I completely agree that a 55 is better for them (or a 40B which actually has more sq footprint). I wouldn't advise keeping one in a 29 either, but it CAN be done responsibly at the cost of number and types of fish kept. This is why the typical "rules" and recommendations are a problem. Most are made by people who have never tried anything else and presume their way is the only right way. The truth tends to be grayer than that.

I had one for a 6 years or so in a 150 and you know how they make that mark on the glass when they eat? Like some lines up the wall. I would see those same markes on my other fish. Never killed anything but I think he may have been tasting them.

I had a small one with a school of 7 tiger barbs and a Cory and he hated them so I ha to get rid of him

Back
Top Bottom