Rainbow shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nathenrauch

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a rainbow shark in a 55 alone so far what tank mates can I have with him and what does he eat also

Rainbow sharks are just like any other tropical fish. They eat normal fish flakes and many other fish foods. they are schooling fish so I would only keep them with other rainbow sharks with the exception of catfish.

Rainbow sharks are just like any other tropical fish. They eat normal fish flakes and many other fish foods. they are schooling fish so I would only keep them with other rainbow sharks with the exception of catfish.

Agree with all of this except for that they are schooling fish. They are extremely territorial and should be the only shark like fish in the tank. No red tails, no other rainbows.

They seem to get along well with tiger barbs, or pretty much any other community fish thats not too small to be eaten. and as said above not a good idea to keep with other sharks.

Agree with all of this except for that they are schooling fish. They are extremely territorial and should be the only shark like fish in the tank. No red tails, no other rainbows.

My aquarium store only sells them in pairs and mine seem to always swim around with each other. I have never seen them fight with other rainbow sharks but I have seen them fight with other fish like mollies and Platies.

Tough barbs like gold barbs and tiger barbs make sure tiger barbs are in numbers of 7 or up same for gold barbs they can be quite aggressive sometimes so make sure the fish you are adding are fast or tough no other shark shaped fish or any rainbow sharks or red tails. I bet you can ask them for just one and they should give you what you want.

I just brought home my second rainbow shark. I don't know what happened to my other shark, but he died a few days after introducing him. He also did nothing but hide in my decor, this guy is swimming around a bit more as I expected out of a "hyperactive" fish.

As far as tank mates are concerned, I have 15(1 in hospital) tiger barbs, 2 kissing gouramis (which risk outgrowing my tank) and a BN Pleco. If my gouramis get too big and I switch to a 75/125, my 55 will become species specific to tiger barbs. From what I've read, you want similar sized fish, definitely large enough to not be eaten.

I have hikari sinking wafers for the rainbow. Be aware that tiger barbs are ferocious eaters. Mine will devour a cube of frozen blood worms in under a minute..
As a result, I'll be feeding the shark at night.

+1 to everyone saying NO OTHER RAINBOWS, NO RED TAILS
And don't even think about balas, 55g is too small.

Back
Top Bottom