Rainbow shark and flying fox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
My rainbow shark has been constantly chasing my fox.
I know now I shouldn't have gotten the shark due to them being the same species.
Anyway its a planted tank and most of the plants are on the right. I decided to break some wisteria and plant it on the left to see if when it grows they will each pick a side and stay away from each other.

Is this even worth it or should I just give the fox to my friend? Its a 30 gallon.

No nipping but I can tell the fox gets stressed

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would choose to rehome the rainbow first as its my opinion a 30 is too small for it. As it grows and mature it will become more territorial especially in a 30g.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I would choose to rehome the rainbow first as its my opinion a 30 is too small for it. As it grows and mature it will become more territorial especially in a 30g.

The other half won't like that. She picked that one out lol

The other half won't like that. She picked that one out lol

(Flying Fox is smaller, eh?)

Then get a 48 inch tank and house similar sized fish with the shark. They need the swimming room and they will pick on fish smaller than themselves-this can include small schooling fish. I lost most of my tiger barbs to my rainbow before I was able to rehome them.

As long as everyone else is bigger or equal in size they aren't as much of a bully.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

(Flying Fox is smaller, eh?)

Then get a 48 inch tank and house similar sized fish with the shark. They need the swimming room and they will pick on fish smaller than themselves-this can include small schooling fish. I lost most of my tiger barbs to my rainbow before I was able to rehome them.

As long as everyone else is bigger or equal in size they aren't as much of a bully.

Actually they're the Same size

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Either way the rainbow will chase him to death because he looks too much like a shark.

so you dont think if the other side fo the tank has enough plants it will break line of sight enough to stop this?

Should I just give the fox to my buddy, Sucks :( I really like my fox and have had him a bit longer.

so you dont think if the other side fo the tank has enough plants it will break line of sight enough to stop this?

Should I just give the fox to my buddy, Sucks :( I really like my fox and have had him a bit longer.

Well you could do this, I mean it would solve your problem but remember the Shark gets too big for a 30.
They really need bigger tanks (like stated 48" should be bare min.) and in a tank as small as a 30 he'll likely become highly aggressive to everything in the tank.
And to my knowledge Rainbow Sharks are cousins of the Fox so yeah pretty much no matter what you do they'll be highly aggressive to each other. If you want to keep them both together I recommend a much much larger tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well you could do this, I mean it would solve your problem but remember the Shark gets too big for a 30.
They really need bigger tanks (like stated 48" should be bare min.) and in a tank as small as a 30 he'll likely become highly aggressive to everything in the tank.
And to my knowledge Rainbow Sharks are cousins of the Fox so yeah pretty much no matter what you do they'll be highly aggressive to each other. If you want to keep them both together I recommend a much much larger tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

well we always planned on giving the fish that get to big away if we didnt upgrade tanks. But maybe its better to give the fox to my buddy then. I have an angel who growing like mad recently and dont know how much longer he will stay in there.

well we always planned on giving the fish that get to big away if we didnt upgrade tanks. But maybe its better to give the fox to my buddy then. I have an angel who growing like mad recently and dont know how much longer he will stay in there.

The fox is more suited for the 30. As well, now learning there's an angel, having 2 semi-aggressive fish in a tank and one of them being in a space too small is even a worse pairing. Whether it's the one your girl picked out, or the household favorite, or whatever, it's best to do what's right for the fish. Not your emotions.

The fox is more suited for the 30. As well, now learning there's an angel, having 2 semi-aggressive fish in a tank and one of them being in a space too small is even a worse pairing. Whether it's the one your girl picked out, or the household favorite, or whatever, it's best to do what's right for the fish. Not your emotions.

Agreed with above. Rainbow sharks do best with their own quiet corner of the tank that they can be grumpy hermits in. A 30g tank is much too small for that unless the shark is the only fish in the tank. No amount of broken lines of sight are enough in that sized tank unless you pack the plants in so tight that you can barely see the fish.

Agreed with above. Rainbow sharks do best with their own quiet corner of the tank that they can be grumpy hermits in. A 30g tank is much too small for that. No amount of broken lines of sight are enough in that sized tank

Agree with this 100%. Additionally, I've found the size of their tank mates comes into play as they grow. They will bully anyone smaller than them. My rainbow is about 4 inches and he shares a 55 with a kissing gourami and bn pleco of equal size and everything is peaceful. Previously, I had 14 tiger barbs who were literally being stressed to death by the shark when he got bigger.

Agree with this 100%. Additionally, I've found the size of their tank mates comes into play as they grow. They will bully anyone smaller than them. My rainbow is about 4 inches and he shares a 55 with a kissing gourami and bn pleco of equal size and everything is peaceful. Previously, I had 14 tiger barbs who were literally being stressed to death by the shark when he got bigger.

This seems to be what I hear from most people, so I guess I have a weirdo shark. My shark actually pesters similar sized fish but completely ignores my smaller ones. She chased my gourami non-stop until I rehomed them, but ignores my dwarf chain loaches, rainbows, cardinal tetras, baby kribs, etc. She's also in a 75g with her tree trunk hidey hole off in one end, so maybe she has enough of a comfort zone established that the others know better than to bother her.

Back
Top Bottom