Rainbow Shark - Big Meanie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Endgame319

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tiny rainbow shark has finally gotten used to his new home, but now he is constantly chasing the tiger barbs around the aquarium. I haven't seen any physical damage yet. Is this normal behavior, or should I be worried? Is there something I could have done that causes him to be like this? He also comes to the surface to eat with the barbs even though he's supposed to be a bottom feeder...

I have heard of this kind of aggression in smaller tanks. I took a look at your pictures and maybe if you put some more structures in the tank it would help the rainbow claim territory and keep the aggression down. They get to be about 6" so it may outgrow the 25gal. Assuming it is small now it should be fine in there for a good while, if the aggression resolves. It may just take a little time for them to work it out. I am sure the tiger barbs are going to be able to handle themselves! Good luck!

I think i've figured it out, he is just protecting his territory, the barbs are just too dumb to realize it. He sits in his plastic plant, and whenever a barb gets close he chases it away. He doesn't seem to mind any of the other fish, just the barbs.

I had a rainbow shark once - I eventually had to get rid of him. They absolutely MUST have a hiding place. Unfortunately mine staked out his territory - which grew to about half the tank - and eventually ended up doing physical damage to his tankmates. Now mine was with tetras only, maybe tigers will not take as much crap as those tetras did - but those rainbows can be very nasty buggers and get worse with age. They are quite timid around people but aggressive to fish. They should really be kept in large tanks with fish larger than they are. They will eat other smaller fish.

Back
Top Bottom