Rainbow Shark HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ewokbuns

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390279955.655279.jpg

Hello everyone! I recently received this neglected little guy from my local pet store. They told me It was too aggressive to put into their tanks. Now before I go on, I know how big he can get, and I know he gets aggressive as he grows! Now, I don't have a bigger tank for him, so I put him in my 10 gallon TEMPORARILY. He's doing fine with 2 cory cats, 4 ADFs and 1 male betta. No fin nip towards all parties. Now, I was wondering a few things.

1. Tank size for this guy: I have a part time job and was wanting to upgrade for some time. I'm gonna save my next two pays (which should be around $200.) to buy a BIG tank.

2. Food. What should I feed him?

3. Plants or no plants?

I'd say a 30-40 gallon tank with a few caves would suffice. They aren't picky eaters, flakes will be ok. I would get hardy plants like cryptocoryne. It's not mandatory but the fish might feel more secure.

I'd say a 30-40 gallon tank with a few caves would suffice. They aren't picky eaters, flakes will be ok. I would get hardy plants like cryptocoryne. It's not mandatory but the fish might feel more secure.

Okay thanks. Was thinking of getting a 50 gallon so I could setup an aggressive community. Like some barbs, few sharks.

My rainbow nibbles alittle bit on my algae on the plants (doesn't do any damage) but he loves flake food ad will eat frozen brine shrimp and blood worms. He is in my 55gal but I think he would be good in a 40+

You won't be able to keep a few sharks. Once you hit about 90g I have seen multiple sharks without infighting. They just don't get along with friends that look like them.

Okay thanks. Was thinking of getting a 50 gallon so I could setup an aggressive community. Like some barbs, few sharks.

+1

One rainbow per tank. Don't mix with red tails either.
I haven't heard good report on balas, but then again I haven't done much research because they require way more tank than I care to have right now.

I would go with a 55, or long tank. He'll need the distance for swimming as these fish are very active.

I would definitely go with some barbs though. I brought a rainbow home Sunday and he's already king of the tank. He bullies my tiger barbs when they don't get out of his way, which I was hoping for, they needed someone to put them in their place. I love my tiger barbs and my kissing gouramis, but the rainbow shark is quickly becoming my favorite to watch.

If you want some nice big barbs, I'd consider getting a 100 gallon tank with some torpedo barbs. If you want to stick with the 55, I'd look for puntius lineatus

+1

One rainbow per tank. Don't mix with red tails either.
I haven't heard good report on balas, but then again I haven't done much research because they require way more tank than I care to have right now.

I would go with a 55, or long tank. He'll need the distance for swimming as these fish are very active.

I would definitely go with some barbs though. I brought a rainbow home Sunday and he's already king of the tank. He bullies my tiger barbs when they don't get out of his way, which I was hoping for, they needed someone to put them in their place. I love my tiger barbs and my kissing gouramis, but the rainbow shark is quickly becoming my favorite to watch.

Funny. My shark put my too playfull loaches in their place and now plays security guard to keep the tank peaceful. He swims back and forth in and out of his caves. Very amusing to watch.

My Rainbow shark loves algae wafers. I put one in the tank just after I turn off the aquarium light and I'm off to bed. They eat at night.

Mine seems to be taking the wafers I drop in at night, they're gone in the morning.

Also, for tank size I'd go 40g long minimum. He's going to need the 48 inch length. While a 33 long is 48 inches, the 12 inch height isn't going to cut it. These fish are also known to jump, so make sure you have a hood.

Okay so does anyone know how fast they grow? How much time do I have i have until he starts taking off? He's VERY small right now, half the size of my full grown male betta. I'm planning on a 55 gal, by mid-late february.

I've had mine for about 16 months and he is about 2-3 inches still, but he is swims from one side to the other all the time, he is very active

Okay so does anyone know how fast they grow? How much time do I have i have until he starts taking off? He's VERY small right now, half the size of my full grown male betta. I'm planning on a 55 gal, by mid-late february.

Sooner the better to get bigger tank so no growth is stunted. My albino rainbow is 2 years old and pushing 6 inches. When i got him my cardinal tetras were bigger than him. Growing to be a big boy now.

Back
Top Bottom