Rainbow sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone have any first hand experience of keeping a group of rainbow sharks (also known as ruby sharks or red finned sharks)?
I acquired a pair with a tank I bought and have been trying unsuccessfully to rehome 1 as have always been under the impression that they should be kept alone. However have been trawling the Internet and have found varying opinions some stating only 1 in any tank others saying 1 or a group of 6 or more and am hoping someone may have some first hand experience to confirm or dispel this group of 6 or more idea?

I've had some experience. Most of the time, they are pretty territorial.

That's been my experience so far with the two I've acquired but am finding more and more opinion online that a group of 6+ (as with angels, african cichlids etc) spreads any aggression and territoriality (if that is a real word??) out so no one fish is constantly being harassed.
How many did you keep and in what size tank?
I've got a 120(us gal) tank currently and a 230(us gal) tank waiting to be setup so I have the space for a group (I think????!!!)

Yep, with Rainbow's or RedTails, it's either ... also from what I've read ... keep one, or keep a group like 5+ for the same reason's mentioned. Keeping just 2 to a few could literally mean an all out brawl as they mature and their territorial aggression builds.
Personally speaking, I wouldn't want a group of mature Rainbows together in typical sized tanks. Get me a 1,000+ gallon tank and then I'd consider it.

In a 120gal, with enough territories set up by using DW, Plants and Rocks, you could get two to co-exist. Of course, there's no guarantees.

I have two of them in my 75 gallon tank. Got them a few months ago at petsmart. They were like two inches when I got them. They're now about 4 to 5 inches now and still in the same tank with mixed rainbows and clown loaches. So far I haven't really seen any aggression in the tank. I guess I just got lucky so far?

Well I've bitten the bullet and just picked up the 4 biggest juveniles in the store. I can see some tank rearranging coming up this evening.

Rearranged tank and tried to make as many caves and little hiding spots as I could with what I have. Will need to buy some more plants on payday but so far it seems to be working. The more timid of the original two was venturing out more last night but the juveniles are so small in comparison I don't think the dominant shark sees them as a threat yet. We'll see how it develops!!
I'll post some pics tonight once the water has cleared from all the rearranging.

Back
Top Bottom