Rainbowfish in 29 gallon aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Queen of Thorns

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last weekend I purchased the last Boesemani rainbowfish from my lfs. I put him in my 5 week old, planted, 29 gallon aquarium with a bulldog pleco (Jorge) and a one-eyed emerald cory (Bob). At the time, the aquarium parameters (per Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit) were:

pH: 6.8
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0 ppm
Nitrates: 5 ppm

The rainbowfish appeared to have a cottony tuft on his lips. The next day, he developed a filmy, saddle-esque patch on his back. I printed out a few pictures of the fish that I had taken with my digital camera, went back to the lfs, and told the proprietor that I thought my new fish had columnaris. The store owner claimed that he had never heard of Flexibacter columnaris -- I guess he thought I was making it up...

I treated the whole tank with Maracyn and Maracyn-II for five days. My water became really cloudy and my nitrites went up to 0.5 ppm, so I ended up doing 25% partial water changes on the third and fifth days of treatment. On Day Five (prior to the partial water change), I noticed that the rainbowfish was staying very close to the surface of the water and appeared to be breathing rapidly. I checked the water parameters:

pH: 6.8
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 0.25 ppm
Nitrates: 20 ppm

Thirty minutes later, the rainbowfish was swimming around upside down. He died within an hour. I removed his poor little corpse, put activated carbon back in my filter (Aquaclear 70), and completed my partial water change.

It took four days for our water to clear. Our parameters are back to normal, and Bob and Jorge are still doing well. I am worried about one thing, however. Should I be hesitant to put Boesemani rainbowfish in a 29 gallon aquarium? My husband and I wanted to keep rainbowfish and rummynose (or firehead) tetras, but we are certainly open to suggestions if this arrangement is not a good idea. I have previously posted at the AquariaCentral forums, but this is my first foray to Aquarium Advice.

I have kept Boesemani rainbowfish in a 30 gallon tank without any problems. They are a good community fish in my experience and get really colorful as they get older.

I also recommend the use of a quarantine/hospital tank where possible. It would have saved me a lot of trouble if I had had one from the very beginning. Not only do you keep your other fish from getting infected it makes it easier to treat the infected fish.

The dwarf neon rainbowfish (praecox) is a smaller rainbowfish that I keep in one of my 29s. They are fun to watch and somewhat colorful. The blues and reds are not as striking as some others but they still look good.

I have 5 boesmans and 1 parkinson right now. They are famous for getting small cases of columnaris. I never used maracyn for it, melafix for one week as always worked. I have found that with each new fish I brought home from the store dev. the white fuzz on the mouth right away. It has always gone away with the melafix. Melafix is natural so no worries on overtreating or what fish can't you use it with. I would say you are fine to keep them. Use the qt if you can, if you can't try melafix...

Hi Queen of Thorns and welcome to Aquarium Advice! :multi:

I agree with gheitman to use a QT tank if at all possible, especially if you want to try rainbowfish again. A QT doesn't have to be fancy -- it can be a Rubbermaid container with a sponge filter, heater, and some plastic plants or PVC pipes for hiding places.

I have also heard that rainbowfish are susceptable to columnaris. I think someone here posted that they always QT new rainbowfish and give the fish Melafix before putting them in the main tank with other fish. Melafix can go in the main tank if you really can't QT, except if you have labyrinth fish. Although Melafix is a wonderful treatment for most fish, it seems to adversely affect fish with a labyrinth organ -- bettas and gouramis.

good point an t-asg, I did not know that. Don't keep them in my main tank so good thing....

Tank Idea
4 Boesemani Rainbowfish
3 Endlers livebearers
1 Bulldog Pleco (current resident)
4 Amano Shrimp
(My cory is still in the tank for now, but I will be purchasing him some friends and moving them all to a 35 gallon hex tank as soon as it cycles.)

Back
Top Bottom