Rainbowfish numbers/combos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatewaylabs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm getting some Red Rainbowfish and some Turquoise Rainbowfish. It looks like I can have a total of 7 of them according to Aqua Advisor. Can I mix and match them, or do I need a certain number of each type or sex, or ? Aqua Advisor says I need at least 5, but is that of each type, or total? Should I have 3 males and 4 females if I can get a total of 7 - and if so, can they be some of each variety? Sorry for the long post, but I'm confused!

I have an all male bow tank. I kept the males from all my breeding groups, and keep them together in a 125. No issues to speak of. To answer your question, 2 males per group of females. You can mix whatever you like as long as thet are around the same size. Rainbows a very mellow fish. Once you see the breeding stripe on the males you will be hooked.LOL

So I can get one male of each of the varieties, then a total of 5 females of either variety, if I'm reading that correctly?

Get 2 males of each species you decide to keep. The Reds you want (Incincis, or Psuedoincincis) get 2 males, the rest females, and 2 males of the Turquoise (Lacustris) and the rest females of the Lacustris. This is a combination for breeding. If your not planning to breed them then try to get more males if you can. More color!! You can mix any type of bows you want. They all get along pretty well.

I know this is off topic but what kind of plants are in that pic.
I am a little embarrased to say, but they are just plastic plants from Petsmart. That is the only tank that is not planted yet. :oops: Saving the money for the co2 system.

Rainbows

I have a 45 gallon tank that I have put two pieces of driftwood and 5 live plants in (as well as some fake plants and such). I am going with 3 Lake Tebera and 2 Goyder River Rainbows with a pecostomus and one tetra that I believe is still alive in the tank. Sounds like your going to have an awesome tank, post some pics when you have it set up.

Foster53: Awesome pics man, I hope my Bows look as good as those someday

My Mel. Trifasciata Goyder Rivers.

Attachments

• rainbows 024.JPG
    rainbows 024.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 59
Awesome!

Those are both awesome. Can't wait to get mine next Tuesday.

Thank you all for your comments on the bows. They were raised from eggs that came from wild caught Goyders. The two pictured were my best breeders. The fish that come from LFS don't have the color of wild caught fish, but some are very nice. If I was still breeding them I could send you some eggs. But I sold all my females about a year ago. Just FYI, a varied diet, and lots of big water changes bring out the best color in bows. My tank gets 2 75% WC's per week. When you get your bows if you have any questions, I would be happy to try and answer them!!

A bad pic of a Lacustris( turquoise)

Attachments

• rainbows 018.jpg
    rainbows 018.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 38
Back
Top Bottom