Rainbowfish schooling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdruken

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was under the impression that different types of rainbowfish would school together, however my turquoise and boesmani segregate. I have 2 boesmani and 1 turquoise and thought that would be fine until I could find more of each but they have separated. What should I do? There are turquoise available in the store now but no boesmani. i believe they are stressed because of some slight fin nipping between them. How can I stop the nipping? I've been told more numbers will calm them but there are no more boesmani available. I planned to get 3 of each for a total of 6 but if they won't school together than I guess the 6 rule can't apply to them but I don't know what to do.

Thanks

Hi rdruken,
I have not kept more than one species together, so I can't really comment much - I know that Australians and boesemanis can interbreed which makes me think they may school, but the greater difference in species, the less likely.
I had four boesemanis and still had some aggression issues. It's very important to have lots of hiding spaces and adequate swimming room. What size is your tank?
The six per group rule is typically applied to a single species.

its a 60 gallon with some emerald eye tetras who are doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom