Rainbows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swampman

Aquarium Advice Activist
:brows:Hi I just bought some Yellow Rainbows. I bought them from a very reputable tropical fish shop. I bought them because they have nice color and would look good in the tank. Different from the Rainbows I see at other fish stores. I am starting to think these are not Rainbows. Take a look and tell me what you think. If you have any info about these fish let me know. Thanks

Attachments

• yel rain 4-5-2016.jpg
    yel rain 4-5-2016.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 87
I'm no professional, but those look like some form of pseudomugil (hope I spelled that right) rainbow fish.

Here's a picture that a yahoo search turned up ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460047646.286711.jpg

And an example from liveaquaria

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460047678.860085.jpg

Hope this helps!

Pseudomugil furcatus, blue eyes rainbow/furcata rainbow

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They are gorgeous, active fish. Always moving. I had 6 last year in my 20g planted tank.

Thanks to all for the great info. Furcate Rainbow. My little fish are 1 inch long. Are they going to get larger? Are they going to develop the large chest the older they get? When I see pictures of Rainbows they have a large chest.

I think they stay around 1.5-2". I'm pretty sure that they stay the same shape that they are currently; just get a bit larger. But no pronounced chest as in the larger rainbow fish species.

That is what got me thinking that these fish aren't Rainbows. They do not have the large chest. But I'll say these are some pretty fish.

Here is a pic of various Pseudomugil species. Yes, pretty fish!
MmkxvF3h.jpg

I'm going to have to disagree with everyone. IMO I believe these are Marosatherina/Telmatherina Ladigesi AKA the Celebes Rainbowfish.

Sent from Luca via magic

I'm going to have to disagree with everyone. IMO I believe these are Marosatherina/Telmatherina Ladigesi AKA the Celebes Rainbowfish.

Sent from Luca via magic

After looking back at the first pic, I think you correct. The anal fin is triangular and not elongated as in the Pseudomugil species. I googled Celebes rainbow images to confirm your call.
Good catch!

Theyre celebes i have 6 im my 75 gallon.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom