Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Rainbows and Neons Tetra mix

Anyone have experience mixing a school of neon tetras and several Rainbows together in a 29 gal tank?

Old 01-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to thatmagicguy Send a message via Yahoo to thatmagicguy
It really depends on how you go about it. They may or may not get along. If you have a sparsley decorated 29 gallon with a school of full grown boesmani rainbows swimming about and you start plunking in small neons then they will probably look at them as food. On the other hand, if you set the tank up with some plants and decorations and have a well established school of healthy neons swimming about you could probably put in some young rainbow fish and have them mature out with very little problems. It is all about how you go about it. On the other hand yet, just remember, the fish have not read any textbooks and while there are guidelines to follow, you can always have just about anything happen in a tank. Which means, 6 people could come in and say they did great. And then you could have a disaster. Vice versa. Bill

Old 01-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
CTD
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had Rainbows and Neons together in the past in a 120 Gallon Tank, Both seemed to me to do best in planted Tanks with Dark Substrates (A dark substrate shows their colors best too). both fish are from soft water, BTW Rainbows will enjoy a Algae Wafer from time to time. Neons are less hardy than the Rainbows but they both got along well with each other. just dont put baby Neons in with Full grown Rainbows.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:02 PM   #4

Thanks for the advise. I'll give it some thought..
Old 01-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a 2 rainbows in a 30 gal tank with 10 neons , they all get along great.

Mind you I have a lot of plants and hiding spots, but I never see any evidence of aggression.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #6

Do the neons school? what kind and how big are the rainbows?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

they school ocaisionally. If they felt threatened, they'd tighten up and school closer and more often. They seem pretty relaxed.
I feed them daily though.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to jcarlilesiu
I have 2 large rainbows with a school of blackline rasboras, and they seem fine. Not really the same thing as neons, but similar in size. THey are in a 56 gallon heavily planted tank.
jcarlilesiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:56 PM   #9

Anybody have experience with different types of gravel for neon tetras and neon rainbows? Light or dark gravel?

Tags
neon, neons, rainbows, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com