Rainbows and tetra safe around Electric blue acara?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KyloRen

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found a electric blue acara for about 3 dollars from a breeder and was wondering if he would be fine in my 55 gallon with 11 rainbows and 5 green fire tetras. I know the tank is pretty crowded at the moment but the 55 won't be the Acara's permanent home. I'm planning on setting up a 40 gallon breeder in about a month and after i setup the tank wait about a week for the tank to cycle (I have filter media in other tanks that would help speed the cycle up). Normally I would just wait to get the acara but they may not be available again in a month for such a low price.

Wow! That's a great price for an Electric Blue Acara. I paid $15 for mine at the LFS. He is in a 93 gal cube with 14 tiger barbs, 2 dennison barbs, 2 pictus cats, 1 german blue ram, 4 bristle nosed plecos, and 1 big blood parrot cichlid. Sparky got a little attention fron the tigers and the parrot on the first day, but everyone gets along great now. I've also got bosemanni rainbows (spelling?) in my 55 gal with angels, cories and dennison barbs with no problems. The acaras are very active, but not agressive. I think if your rainbows don't bother your tetras, the acara should be fine. Just my unqualified opinion.

It should be fine actually, they can get a little fiesty but with no.mate present it shouldn't get homicidal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah turns out the acara will be 3/4 of an inch not so big I think everything should be fine thank you :)

Yeah turns out the acara will be 3/4 of an inch not so big I think everything should be fine thank you :)

3-4"? Not 3 quarters of.an inch, think that's what you meant though;)

3-4"? Not 3 quarters of.an inch, think that's what you meant though;)

No I really meant 3 quarters of an inch lol is that too small? Will it be a problem in the 55?

So it's very small now?? Won't always be, they can reach 5-6" I believe, but yah.. fine in the 55

Maybe I should keep him in my 10 gallon until he gets to 2 inches I don't feel like its safe for it in the 55

Hey not to intrude, but my LFS is also selling Electric Blue Acara for $15 also and I've been very interested in buying one (You're so lucky to have found one for so cheap!) Anyways are they relatively easy to care for? What are they're care requirements? I can't seem to find much about them online.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As long as nothing in there will eat him it shouldn't be a problem, unless you're committed to growing him out in the 10 with frequent feedings and wc's.

Hey not to intrude, but my LFS is also selling Electric Blue Acara for $15 also and I've been very interested in buying one (You're so lucky to have found one for so cheap!) Anyways are they relatively easy to care for? What are they're care requirements? I can't seem to find much about them online.

They're pretty basic yah. Just meet space, diet, tank mates, and water quality needs and you're good.

Sweet. I've got a 60gal that I think he'll fit nicely in. Thank you for your help. :)

Awesome I got him :D so excited I also got 12 cherry shrimps for 3 dollars

Attachments

• IMG_1690.JPG
    IMG_1690.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 162
He looks awesome! Once he's colored up even better! 12 RCS for $3, wish I could find deals like that around here.

He looks awesome! Once he's colored up even better! 12 RCS for $3, wish I could find deals like that around here.

Thanks! :) well It was actually a dollar per shrimp I asked for 3 and the guy just scooped up about 12 shrimps he even threw in a prego shrimp :D My rainbows ate all the duckweed though was hoping for those to grow

As long as nothing will fit in his mouth and you have a tight lid you should be fine.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Back
Top Bottom