Rainbows eating plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so I'm totally confused as I feed my fish 3x a day in small increments, but I constantly watch my rainbows peck and nibble on my plants l, I just had a scare as I saw my turquoise swimming around a piece of sagataria in his mouth where I had to net him to let it go I thought it was stuck, I hope he's okay I don't think a piece broke off, what can I do to get them to stop eating the plants?

Are they like humans and other animals where if we're low on say vitamin C our body will crave orange juice, or if we're dehydrated we will crave water? Maybe im missing something in their diet??

Mon-wed-fri: cobalt probiotics spirluna veggie flake
Tues-thurs: Cobalt probiotics tropical flake
Sat: fasting
Sunday: Hikari frozen blood worms

Every other Wednesday I feed blanched zucchini

Never had plant eating problems with any variety of rainbow fish I have kept, but everyone's fish keeping situation is different.
Your listed feeding routine is top notch and probably not the reason your rainbows nibble on the plants.
I keep a large school of spotted silver dollars in my display tank. The only plants the SD' s won't instantly consume are anubias and java fern. Those plants are low light, tough and probably bitter tasting.
You probably can't change your rainbows appetite for plants but maybe you could add plants to your tank most fish won't eat.

They eat the anubias but not the anubias nana, only the new growth, but yeah I'm ordering pants soon just don't know what a good site to buy them off of is

Back
Top Bottom