Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Rainwater?

So it is pouring here right now and I collect rainwater for my house plants and I'm staring at this bucket filling with clean non-chlorinated water and...

You see where I'm going here, right?

Can anyone think of a reason to not use it in fish tanks? I have a feeling that the only things that might be in there that aren't good for fish wouldn't be readable by my API test kit. Whatcha think?

Old 03-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

My gut reaction is that there would be an air pollution factor to worry about. I have no scientific knowledge to back this up, but it's just a gut thing. I wouldn't do it.

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rainwater, especially from a suburban area, may contain fertilizers and pesticides. If you put that in a fish tank, it is going to kill your fish. Any number of poisons are deadly to both you and your fish. Don't do it.

Who say's that you can't have more than one tank? Just get one more... just one...
phoenixkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I'm gonna do it! Just kidding. Maybe I'll use it for my java moss growing factory. If it kills the pond snail I'll know!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3325498758.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	82399  
Old 03-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Much like RO water, it's also devoid of the good stuff your tank inhabitants need. You would need to replenish those minerals.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by blert
Much like RO water, it's also devoid of the good stuff your tank inhabitants need. You would need to replenish those minerals.
So do those good things only leach into the water through the ground? Like in ponds and reservoirs?
Old 03-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletEmber View Post
So do those good things only leach into the water through the ground? Like in ponds and reservoirs?
Possibly, but if they did, there is virtually no way to make the water safe for
fish save for expensive RO/DI system.

Who say's that you can't have more than one tank? Just get one more... just one...
phoenixkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletEmber View Post
Water that you get from your tap, unless you're on a well, has been treated at a water treatment plant. It does not come to you straight from a reservoir.

I wouldn't use pond or reservoir water in my tanks either. It's not controlled and who knows what's in it.....
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB

Water that you get from your tap, unless you're on a well, has been treated at a water treatment plant. It does not come to you straight from a reservoir.

I wouldn't use pond or reservoir water in my tanks either. It's not controlled and who knows what's in it.....
Agreed- all the heavy metals etc that fall in the rain and also run-off would be in the ponds/reservoirs as well- especially when they let people use motor boats on a reservoir. I'm just wondering where in the water cycle the micro nutrients come in. This is really interesting to think this through...
Old 03-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
I believe most of the minerals leach into the water from the rocks and ground around it. Plus, on city water they add some in as buffers.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com