Rainwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
So it is pouring here right now and I collect rainwater for my house plants and I'm staring at this bucket filling with clean non-chlorinated water and...

You see where I'm going here, right?

Can anyone think of a reason to not use it in fish tanks? I have a feeling that the only things that might be in there that aren't good for fish wouldn't be readable by my API test kit. Whatcha think?

My gut reaction is that there would be an air pollution factor to worry about. I have no scientific knowledge to back this up, but it's just a gut thing. I wouldn't do it.

Rainwater, especially from a suburban area, may contain fertilizers and pesticides. If you put that in a fish tank, it is going to kill your fish. Any number of poisons are deadly to both you and your fish. Don't do it.

So I'm gonna do it! Just kidding. Maybe I'll use it for my java moss growing factory. If it kills the pond snail I'll know!

Attachments

• image-3325498758.jpg
    image-3325498758.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 70
Much like RO water, it's also devoid of the good stuff your tank inhabitants need. You would need to replenish those minerals.

blert said:
Much like RO water, it's also devoid of the good stuff your tank inhabitants need. You would need to replenish those minerals.

So do those good things only leach into the water through the ground? Like in ponds and reservoirs?

So do those good things only leach into the water through the ground? Like in ponds and reservoirs?

Water that you get from your tap, unless you're on a well, has been treated at a water treatment plant. It does not come to you straight from a reservoir.

I wouldn't use pond or reservoir water in my tanks either. It's not controlled and who knows what's in it.....

LyndaB said:
Water that you get from your tap, unless you're on a well, has been treated at a water treatment plant. It does not come to you straight from a reservoir.

I wouldn't use pond or reservoir water in my tanks either. It's not controlled and who knows what's in it.....

Agreed- all the heavy metals etc that fall in the rain and also run-off would be in the ponds/reservoirs as well- especially when they let people use motor boats on a reservoir. I'm just wondering where in the water cycle the micro nutrients come in. This is really interesting to think this through...

I believe most of the minerals leach into the water from the rocks and ground around it. Plus, on city water they add some in as buffers.

Back
Top Bottom