Raising brine shrimp??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

77speedyturtle

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just started for my first time hatching brine shrimp. I just went to my lps an bought a vial of 4 gm of San Francisco bay shrimp eggs. So please share your experience on doing this. Also what brand of eggs an methods you use. Also thinking about setting up a ten gal to raise them to adult hood. Any ideas on methods? Thanks an you all have a fabulous day??.

I just started for my first time hatching brine shrimp. I just went to my lps an bought a vial of 4 gm of San Francisco bay shrimp eggs. So please share your experience on doing this. Also what brand of eggs an methods you use. Also thinking about setting up a ten gal to raise them to adult hood. Any ideas on methods? Thanks an you all have a fabulous day??.

I'm thinking of getting into doing this also so thank you for posting this question.

the shrimp have all their nutritional value when they are newly hatched
Best source for Eggs and info here :
https://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/about-us/articles/hatching-brine-shrimp-cysts/

Plus one .
Feeding the baby shrimp within the first 24 hours is the most nutritious for your fish.
After that the shrimp will have little nutritional value that are not in the foods you feed them,which could be directly offered to your fish if they are not too picky...
Brine shrimp direct is the best source for eggs.I buy 1lb at a time and they last a year easy in the fridge while most of the store bought eggs I have bought were stale upon purchase....:nono:

Well all is good. I harvested some freshly hatched shrimp. My baby mollies,guppies,and two bumble bee gobbies were in heaven. Stayed up late watching different videos of people who raise the shrimp to larger sizes for their bigger fish. So I have a spare 10 laying around. I'm going to the store today to buy either spirlina or yeast. Let's see how my luck goes raising brine to adulthood. My pea puffers are so picky and don't like much frozen food. So off to the raises.����

Look into Selcon for gut loading and helping raise healthy shrimp. It is a liquid vitamin supplement for marine life.
Little pink bottles ...I use it with my frozen food in my marine tank.

+1 on the selcon... I use that at work for the brine shrimp we raise there.

Thanks for sharing the web sight. I went online an checked out them and others on raising brineshrimp. So I got a lot tub set up. Went to the health store and bought some spirlulina to feed them. Now with fingers crossed an a little luck. Hopefully I will share pics of adults swimming around. Hope every one has a great fishy day?

Attachments

• IMG_20180806_114713_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20180806_114713_hdr.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20180806_114654_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20180806_114654_hdr.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 44
I've been considering this, as well! I plan on keeping Endler's and imagine they would enjoy some brine shrimp.

If I added a bunch of eggs straight to the aquarium, would they hatch? Would the Endler's eat the whole batch as eggs and defeat the whole purpose? Would cories and RCS get in on the buffet?

eggs

I've been considering this, as well! I plan on keeping Endler's and imagine they would enjoy some brine shrimp.

If I added a bunch of eggs straight to the aquarium, would they hatch? Would the Endler's eat the whole batch as eggs and defeat the whole purpose? Would cories and RCS get in on the buffet?

The eggs will not hatch if you dump them directly into your freshwater aquarium , sorry

Bummer. How do people transfer them from a salt tank to their fish tank? Seems like they'd be too small for a typical net.

Bummer. How do people transfer them from a salt tank to their fish tank? Seems like they'd be too small for a typical net.

There are very fine nets that will catch them. You shut off the aeration, set a light source near the hatchery (this will attract them to one area), and use airline or similar tubing to siphon then baby brine shrimp into the net. A brief rinse will help remove excess salt. Then into the tank they go.

Back
Top Bottom