Raising Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
shadowstars123,
I try to keep the Nitrate below 20.
Water changes also help remove bacteria from uneaten food and such.

And my tap water PH is 7.0 and pretty soft (TDS 45-60) so my Discus do very good with daily water changes. It took a week or two for the fish to acclimate to daily water changes. But once Discus are used to water changes......They love it.
I kinda like doing water changes.

I've never subjected my Discus to high PH......just did alot of online reading where people state that there Discus do good with high PH tap water & daily water changes.
Although I do believe Hobnobelisk about his Discus not liking high PH. Everybody's tap water is different.

Dennis

I've been wondering about this as well. Most of my tanks will not exceed 20ppm nitrates in 2 weeks time (I still do weekly pwc's though) so why, in that instance, would daily pwc's be needed? I keep my rams from exceeding 10ppm and plan to do the same if I end up with discus. Is that good enough? Even if it only takes 1-2 pwc's weekly?

siva said:
I've been wondering about this as well. Most of my tanks will not exceed 20ppm nitrates in 2 weeks time (I still do weekly pwc's though) so why, in that instance, would daily pwc's be needed? I keep my rams from exceeding 10ppm and plan to do the same if I end up with discus. Is that good enough? Even if it only takes 1-2 pwc's weekly?

My dt never exceeds 5 ppm in two weeks, and it's fairky stocked, but planted. I'm going to ask my uncle later

Okay, so I went to my LFS and picked out two discus, acclimated, then put them in my tank. Usually how long does it take for discus to become acclimated to their surroundings and eat? Practically every single fish I've had before ate the next day, except for a betta that refused to eat anything except mosquito larvae... But anyways, I got them yesterday, any advice?

Back
Top Bottom