Raising ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt.Gorilla

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just picked up some test kits and all my parameters were great except for ph, which was around 6.2.

Whats the best way to raise ph?

Well it didn't look like anyones saying much so I went out and bought some 7.0 ph regulater, it put my ph it 7 so im happy.

I have the opposite problem...pH too high. I took out my sea shells...you could add some to your tank. I've seen cichlid tanks with crumbled shells in the gravel and they like a more alkeline water.

well, if you can find ph regulater it will lower or raise the ph of the tank to 7.0
it's not too expensive about $14 canadian for a jar.

Capt. Gorilla,

The use of crushed coral is the natural method of raising pH and can be added to a small mesh baggie (I got mine in the Paint-straining department at Home Depot for $2) and placed in your filter compartment, or you can mix it directly into your substrate. This will also raise the KH of your water, which is an inevitable side effect. You can buy crushed coral in the substrate department of your LFS.

I would suggest avoiding pH adjusters and chemical additives as much as possible for many reasons. The first reason is, buffering and adjusting agents will only prove to be a temporary solution and you will find that after a few days your pH will rebound to its original point, and prompt you to add more chemical in what can quickly become a frustrating cycle of chemical dousing to keep your pH under control. The second reason is, that chemical additives add phosphates to your water, setting your tank up for what could be a significant algae bloom down the road. The third and perhaps most important reason is that chemical additions to your fishes' environment increases stress on their immune function, opening the door for opportunistic and potentially life-threatening diseases to gain a foothold.

I would recommend discontinuing the use of the pH additive and stick to clean, fresh water ... which is what fish like best !

Loren said:
I've seen cichlid tanks with crumbled shells in the gravel and they like a more alkeline water.

Actually, this is backwards :0 Cichlids like more base tanks, with a pH as high as 8.5 (The range prefered is roughly 7.5-8.5, but they can survive a hugh range)

Back
Top Bottom