Ram Babies! What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
My German Blue Rams eggs just hatched yesturday and I am trying to figure out what I should Do with them, They are in a community Tank so I fear death as soon as they become free swimming. Should I put them in my fry net for a bit then move them to my 10 gallon when they are freeswimming? They are in the substrate so I think I can get them in the net without taking them out of the water I would think. Should I do this and raise them myself? the tank is a 75 gallon Hi-Tech planted tank with rams, cardinals, and pearl gouramies.

nope in the Midwest
In that case I'll take some off your hands...

Seriously though, put them in a small aquarium if you have one. For instance, I have a 2 gallon aquarium that I use especially for time like this. I use it to isolate & medicate fish and Ive even raised a few platys in it which I picked out of my canister filter foam one time.
The seperate container will give the little ones a place to be safe & grow. Just make sure to keep the water clean & warm for them. :fish2:

well Ill be selling them, but I have to get them larger then they are right now before that happens lol

Once they get bigger you're welcome to send some my way as well LOL! Always cool to have offspring isn't it. As stated, I'd set up a seperate grow-out tank.

reall guys......all ur asking for is the babies and not giving advice;)
lol

if possible, leave them in there for as long as possible, and remove the gouramis........i see no threat from the cardinals.....yet......BUT if u want to take out the babies..........use a turkey baster......

CleverBs said:
well Ill be selling them, but I have to get them larger then they are right now before that happens lol

I will take some too! I will need a pair next year...
I recommend separating the babies after they become free swimming. Hopefully more will survive that way.

I would like some too, born and raised in good o'l Nebraska! But anyway if you have a extra tank laying around, separate them. I don't think it could go wrong, unless you have plans for the extra tank.

raising baby rams isn't a cake walk. I also suggest a second tank, if possible float it in the main tank so it keeps the same temperature, and do water changes with tank water.

The fry are absolutely tiny and won't be able to eat BBS right away, I've even had trouble getting them to eat microworms. You might be able to get them to do the powdered food, but it fouls the water up quickly. I had the best luck inoculating their tank with green water and adding copious amounts of moss.

jetajockey said:
raising baby rams isn't a cake walk. I also suggest a second tank, if possible float it in the main tank so it keeps the same temperature, and do water changes with tank water.

The fry are absolutely tiny and won't be able to eat BBS right away, I've even had trouble getting them to eat microworms. You might be able to get them to do the powdered food, but it fouls the water up quickly. I had the best luck inoculating their tank with green water and adding copious amounts of moss.

Do you think hard boiled egg yoke would work too?

Back
Top Bottom