ram with a betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BHead707

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I searched the past threads and couldn't find anything specific about it. a few said that you could try it out and have a backup plan if it didn't work. So here is my setup.

20Gallon long

1 male betta(have never seen him flare at any fish since ive gotten him)
4 zebra danios(soon to be 6)
2 white clouds(rehoming soon)
3 bronze cories
4 skunk cories

i change 25% of the water 2 times a week, have an Aquaclear 50 hob filter, many fake/real plants and caves for hiding areas

whats your opinion? can it work if im lucky or is it a no go?

-Brandon

Well, since you said opinion, I dont have first hand experience with rams and bettas, but if it's a male and you get a male ram I would be a little concerned. I have two rams and they're mostly good tankmates to the tetras but sometimes they get after the gourami's barbels (feelers?) and I think the long fins might be tempting for them, but as I say thats just an opinon, good luck whatever you decide!

Well, since you said opinion, I dont have first hand experience with rams and bettas, but if it's a male and you get a male ram I would be a little concerned. I have two rams and they're mostly good tankmates to the tetras but sometimes they get after the gourami's barbels (feelers?) and I think the long fins might be tempting for them, but as I say thats just an opinon, good luck whatever you decide!

thats exactly what im looking for is opinions, thank you for the response, what if i go with a female ram would that change up the compatability at all?

IME it ha worked. But everyone's experience is different.

Really, it always comes down to individual fish. Cichlids, gouramis, Bettas, it all comes down to individual temperament really. Just because ones experience with the fish is the same does not mean it will be for you. Whenever it comes down to iffy fish like Bettas, I always say try it, and if it doesn't, always have a plan B.

IME it ha worked. But everyone's experience is different.

Really, it always comes down to individual fish. Cichlids, gouramis, Bettas, it all comes down to individual temperament really. Just because ones experience with the fish is the same does not mean it will be for you. Whenever it comes down to iffy fish like Bettas, I always say try it, and if it doesn't, always have a plan B.

ok thats what i thought ill have to give it a try, gonna be getting it tomorrow ill let yall know how it worked out, should i go male or female or would it not make a difference?

BHead707, I would not recommend it. Although I have not kept a ram with a betta, I have kept an Apistogramma with a betta and it didn't last long before there was fairly major fin damage to the betta. This is based on one experience only, but it was a bad enough experience for me not to try it again. :)

Like Bruinsbro said it depends on the fish I have three rams living in the same tank as my bettas one male two female betta and they get along just fine I have one Bolivian ram and two balloon German blue rams and the male is always playing with the rams so it really depends on the personality of your betta if he's not as aggressive as most bettas you should b fine

Back
Top Bottom