Ramhorn and Gold Inca Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do snails improve the quality of your plants by removing algae?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• We'll see in a couple of weeks when you finish your test

• Total voters

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, a new experiment has begun. I have decided the positive effect of mature snails on a heavily planted aquarium needs to be tested. I bought two Ramshorn and one Gold Inca snail to help clean the leaves in my heavily planted aquarium. Cleaning the algae off will increase the light reaching the plants and improve the overall health...maybe. I am not concerned about reproduction, I think my mature clown loaches will more than take care of any newborns, while not being able to do much about the golf ball size adults. Has anyone else had any experience in this or tried it?

My tank is over-run with snails (ramshorn mostly), but the plants are clean ( i had various algae battles, but seem to be ahead at this time). Have had no problems with snails munching plants, but thats just me.

I have no clown loaches, but have heard stories here thast they can eat almost any size snail.

This weeken is time for some pruning, rearanging and snail massacre. I 'll never get them all though.

My experience with Clown Loaches is that they eat small snails, small snails being anything smaller than they are. My clown loaches are mediums so the snails are smaller than they are.

I have snails all over my 20 gallon tank. I think there must be 30 or more of various sizes. I must say that the plants are growing well and are clean, so it may be possible that they are doing a good job.

I'm still debating if I really want these snails or not and for this reason I haven't introduced any of these plants into my other two tanks yet.

I am a big clown loach fan, but that's just me. I have three and am adding three more. They're fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom