ramhorn snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrous

Aquarium Advice FINatic
welll i justg seen on my decoration a small ramhorn smail about __ in lenght give or tank a cm or so and i also see some small snails about _ or less ain the substrate the ramhorn has move and i have never seen em b4, maybe they traveled in on plants idk but r they harmless and for the smaller ones i just watched my chiclid take a bit out of them so i dont think they will last long but will they be harmful to the tank?

Not at all harmful, just can multiply like crazy, one quickly becomes hundreds. Hopefully your cichlids will take care of them if not remove them manually or get some loaches.

I also have these in my tank and they were getting out of hand until i got clown loaches. Now i occassionally see one or two :lol:

My cichlids live with clown loaches and have had with no problem for several months. Actually I think my clowns are confused sometimes and think they are cichlids, it is so funny, the act like them trying to dig in the sand. :lol:

alright so next time i go to the lfs ill get a loach for my 20 thanks and ya ive notice some lower spots of gravel toward the rocks and my cave and i didnt even kno they dig

For your 20 gal get a couple of the smaller loaches at least not clown loaches they get too big. Loaches prefer company. Cichlids will dig in sand for sure and small gravel too I think. With the sand they rearrange my tank daily.

For a 20 gallon tank I would suggest getting 3 zebra or yoyo loaches instead of the clown loaches which will end up too big for the tank. You could also consider dwarf loaches which are even smaller and do a good job with snails but are more expensive. Here dwarf loaches are $17.95 each while the zebra and yoyo loaches are $4.95 each.

my Ocellatus fry actually kill and eat ramshorn snails AND ... be prepared for this .... MTS! I know ... it is really strange, but when i see the bottom of my tank scattered with dead MTS shells that had their insides eaten out, it is not surprising. They are so small that they can get in there when the MTS surface.

Back
Top Bottom