Rams and Barbs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrewz00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
can i mix rams and barbs?

specifically... odessa, tiger, cherry, albino tiger, green tiger.... along with amano shrimp, bamboo shrimp, MTS and cory cats....

I would say no just based on the fact that barbs are nippy fish and like slow moving fish with long fins. Rams are slow - compared to other fish - and may get nipped at. The rams may hold their ground though. My gut would say no though.

I wouldn't recommend it.

The only barbs I've kept that would make good tank mates for rams IMO would be snakeskins (Puntius rhombocellatus). They are active, but not nippy like a lot of other species. They can be difficult to find.

I have cherry barbs and five-band barbs in a 29g with two bettas and I don't have nipping problems. The five-band barbs look like little tiger barbs with an extra stripe. I was given the ones I have. I can't seem to find them in the stores by me.

Pentazonas are cool fish, I've never kept them but I have read that they behave more like snakeskins than tigers, even though they look more like tigers. Sounds like yours are behaving themselves. I also forgot about cherry barbs, I think they would be fine with rams.

Pentazonas are great I had 5 in my last tank and they look like tiger barbs but don't nip at all and are a little slower moving. A great fish for the community aquarium.

BigJim said:
I have cherry barbs and five-band barbs in a 29g with two bettas and I don't have nipping problems. The five-band barbs look like little tiger barbs with an extra stripe. I was given the ones I have. I can't seem to find them in the stores by me.

Hi Jim, just a side note... The garden centre at Otley have five band barbs! Not sure about price.

Edit: LOL wrong Jim! Sorry :)

Back
Top Bottom