Rams in High pH water???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amanda_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I really want to get some german and angel veil (or angel fin) rams but my pH is 7.6. The guy at my lfs said they do well in water with that pH and should be in a minimum group of 5, but considering they cost $10.99 each I'm not sure if he was just trying to make a sale. I know they are an extremely sensitive fish so is there any advice someone with experience or knowledge of rams can give me?

I have a 55 gallon planted tank with 3 powder blue gouramis, 2 large angels and 1 small, 5 guppies, 2 platies, 4 cherry barbs, 4 black neons and 1 regular neon.

By the way, is my tank fully stocked?

I breed Rams in water with a ph as high as 7.8. It all depends on whether they are tank bred or wild and how long they've been acclimated to that ph. The only real problems people run into with Rams are:
1) They are hard to keep in groups( because you can never have just one they are very addicting) peacefully after pairing happens.
2) They are very sensitive to nitrates and internal parasites. So they should be treated for them during the quarintine period.

Are the rams compatible with my other fish? How should I acclimate them... over what period of time?

I think the rams will get along just fine with the other fish. Mine tend to sneak around the bottom in my 20g tank. How heavily planted is the tank? Any caves or cavelike hiding spots? Any driftwood?

I drip acclimated mine for about 3 hours and their coloration was better after the acclimation period than when they were at the LFS. They were the first fish I've ever drip acclimated and I plan on using that method for all my new fish.

As long as they're properly acclimated, your water will be fine. It's much more important to keep the water STABLE, rather than trying to match it to natural conditions.

I'd also recommend the drip method to acclimate; I usually go about an hour, though.

If you acclimate them slowly you can have rams. One hour of drip acclimation should work well. I have a ph of 7.8 and have a successful spawn of my bolivian rams, they are now 3 months old.

Back
Top Bottom