Rams in my 60?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JTAM963

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought two 2.5 inch bolivian rams, and am going to add them into my 60 gallon with one 6 inch pleco..one 2.5 inch convict...2-2inch firemouths and a 2 inch manguense..any problems together?? Since they are all south american right?? i am going to move the manguense over summer..gonna get a 125

Agreed. Although Bolivians IME tend to be more territorial than GBRs, they still belong in a community setting and not in an aggressive tank.

So far they are okay...the convict is a loner and not too aggressive since he's the only one of his kind..and the firemouths seem pretty calm also...they chase eachother every now and then...I was thinking if i start my 30 gallon hex could I add the two bolivian and 2 gbrs? or the 2 bolivians and some tetras? I really like the von rio flames

I was thinking if i start my 30 gallon hex could I add the two bolivian and 2 gbrs? or the 2 bolivians and some tetras? I really like the von rio flames

GBR's and Bolivians can co-exist with each other in a larger tank (say 55g). So either one would go well with tetras in a 30g.

Your fish appear relatively calm right now because they have not yet hit sexual maturity. I keep cons and FMs, and trust me, all hell will break loose once they get bigger, and your rams will be toast.

I agree with JC that Bolivians and GBRs can coexist quite well, however, you shouldn't try it in a 30 hex. These are species that tend to stay almost exclusively in the bottom half of the tank, and the small footprint of the hex tank won't allow them much room to claim territories. I wouldn't try keeping these species together in any tank less than 3 feet long.

I like your idea for keeping the Bolivians in your 30 hex with a school of tetras, although if yours don't pair up they may have some territory issues to sort out. This rarely results in damage, so you should be ok there. Von Rios are a great choice for tankmates. You could do 10 Von Rios and the Bolivians, or 6 Von Rios, the Bolivians, and a very small pleco, like a clown, tiger, or pitbull.

I feel that the GBR's and the Bolivians would be fine to have in a 30 gallon tank. You should go with a pair of each. I have 4 spawning pairs of GBR's in my 55 gallon tank with no problems. I wanted three pair but was shipped an extra for free so I can't complain. If you went with the one pair of each in a 30 gallon, I would expect to see each pair claim half of the tank and they would most likely stick to the sides (ends) of the tank for the most part. I would suggest no further additions of bottom dwellers such as cories and plecos however.

Back
Top Bottom