Ramshorn snail vs yo yo loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Would anyone know if ramshorn snails will last with yo yo loaches in the tank? I got half a dozen by accident when I got some frogbit plants (bit like duckweed). They are all in QT at the moment.

Also does anyone know if frogbit or duckweed is ok with high water flow in a tank? The last lot got eaten somewhat by the fish (ate the roots then the centre out of them) so I got a heap this time...

I currently have my yo yo loach with mystery snails and nerites. I thought he would go after the nerites because they are so small but he hasn't touched them. He will attack nusiance snails without question. You just have to watch and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies. Might just try one or two in the main tank and see what happens. Maybe get lucky. My neighbour has a pond - maybe he will take the rest.

There was a Malaysian trumpet snail in there by accident but I read yo yo's have trouble with their long shells. All my pond snails have gone.

I have nerite snails and a tiger botia. The botia doesn't even care about the snails.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Frogbit will not fare well in high flow tanks. They tend to get tumbled around too much and just disintegrate.

The loaches will definitely go after the ramshorns, and likely the MTS as well. My Dwarf Chain Loaches have managed to virtually erradicate all the pest snails (had a combination of ramshorn, MTS, and pond) in my 75 gallon, and they're far smaller than the Yo Yos get. The only snails they don't seem to bother are assassin snails. I haven't tried them with nerites.

Frogbit will not fare well in high flow tanks. They tend to get tumbled around too much and just disintegrate.

The loaches will definitely go after the ramshorns, and likely the MTS as well. My Dwarf Chain Loaches have managed to virtually erradicate all the pest snails (had a combination of ramshorn, MTS, and pond) in my 75 gallon, and they're far smaller than the Yo Yos get. The only snails they don't seem to bother are assassin snails. I haven't tried them with nerites.

Thanks, if this new lot of frogbit doesn't work I'll give up on it. :( I won't have high hopes. Actually thinking last night I might put some plastic mesh around the plants I do want until they can take off properly (sigh). Shame as the frogbit was cheap. The foxtail on the left side of the tank is going well, still trying to get it to take on the right side of tank (suspect that gets a bit more flow as well).

The snails I'll have a hunt for tonight but I think they might just go as loach food. I saw one MTS in the QT which I'm tempted to hang on to just for something different and leave him in the QT.

Bit of an update:

The snails were eating the plants I was trying to grow out in the QT (could be the mollies I guess but they said not us :) ).

So I've been putting the snails in the main tank where the loaches have promptly ignored them so far. Typical loaches!

Lots of snail eggs in the QT as well but will see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom